Christmas

Posted , 2 users are following.

I'm a single mother of two boys, we're spending Christmas with my parents so I haven't had to do much in the way of preparation which is good as I don't think I would have coped. These last few weeks have been unbearable, I've barely been able to function. I didn't put up any decorations this year and have sent no cards to anyone. My entire house is a mess and I'm just falling apart. I just want Christmas to be over but then I feel guilty because of the boys. I've spent the first few days of their school holiday in bed while they've played on the Xbox. I had loads of plans and bought craft things to do with them, but I've done none of it. I just can't. But the guilt and anxiety about ruining Christmas for them just makes it worse. It's a vicious circle that I can't get away from. I don't know what to do. I'm dreading tomorrow. Having to get up n dressed n pretend that I care all day. I don't know if I can do it. Is there anyone else that's struggling with this time of year or any suggestions of how I can get through this?

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Its such a tough time of year, my ex wife wont let me see my kids so I am in pieces.
    • Posted

I'm so sorry for you, I'm lucky to have my boys, it would be much worse without them. Have you got plans to keep you busy at least?
    • Posted

I got the best chrsitmas present, the kids rang me up and spoke to me on skype to thank me for their presents.
    • Posted

That's great, I'm really happy for you. My days goin ok so far. Just about to sit down for dinner
    • Posted

Now the days nearly done with , you can chill a little. Tommorrow is a new day and you have the chance to make a difference. Just something small for the boys then you may just get the boost you need to put you back on track

• Posted

Thanks, I got through it, I managed to hold it together until everyone had gone to bed. Got through work today too, one day at a time smile
  • Posted

Hi - I fully understand. Christmas can be a very depressing time.

I suggest that you try and not feel guilty. I know - easier said than done. I think your boys are going to enjoy Christmas. They have gifts, they're seeing their grandparents. They'll have fun. And they probably wouldn't want you being depressed for their sake.

If you can, don't 'pretend'. Just try to relax and see what the day brings.

Forget about not putting up the trimming, and everything else. You're staying at your parents - so you don't need to worry about such things.

Just let the day unfold in its own way ... and hopefully you'll enjoy it!

All the best. And take care.

• Posted

Thanks for replying, I know I shouldn't complain, I have it so much better than some people do. All their presents are wrapped and they're all excited and I'm sure we'll have a great day. I need to just stop worrying about it I guess. 
    • Posted

Don't worry about 'complaining'. In fact, you were not complaining! So no apology needed ... You were simply expressing yourself - and that's fine. I encourage you to do so.

I'm glad the boys are all excited. Yes, you'll have a great day!

• Posted

Thanks, it was an ok day. Nothing bad happened and the kids enjoyed most of it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.