Chronic constipation due to psychotropic medications

Posted , 8 users are following.

I have a child who takes daily psychotropic medications and suffers from chronic constipation. Any suggestions?

Have tried everything over the counter.

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I use a product called LAXOL which is sugar free and contains DOCUSATE SODIUM 50mg per pill and SENNOSIDIES 8mg per pill. I am an adult so not sure about for children. It is a gentle way of overcoming this problem for me.
    • Posted

Hi:

Thank you for responding.

My daughter is 41. She is a special needs adult. 

Is Laxol under prescription?

• Posted

There are natural ways also like vegetables and fruits like kiwifruit and I see molasses can work but it is a sugar which some cannot tolerate...
    • Posted

She is currently on Lactulose and Linzess.

I have her on a Vegan diet with lots of fresh fruits and vegetables and plenty of water.

However, her system becomes dependent on these medications which only help temporarily.

Have you ever tried Trulance?

• Posted

No I have just used the one drug Laxol as I have had a recent prostate operation and the whole thing affected my digestion and so on. I pray your daughter is helped by the information and guidance you can get from the internet and from your doctor.
  • Posted

Try following things

1. Drink daily 3 to 5 liters water.

2. Eat food containing fiber.

3. Drink fresh juices.

4. Drink milk daily.

Hope it helps

• Posted

Thank you for your advice:

Already:

Drinks a lot of water

Is already on high fiber diet

Sits on the toilet daily for 45 minutes. Three times a day.

Incorporates daily exercises

Drinks Almond milk

• Posted

I have tried  Castor oil, Mineral oil,

Magnesium Citrate.

I believe I have tried everything over the counter.

What is currently helping is Go-Litely which is given before having a Colonoscopy. Not that she needs a Colonoscopy but in the meantime that doctor finds the right medication.

• Posted

There are two new medications on the market but they both require prior authorizations.

Your doctor must provide supporting documentation in order for insurance carrier to pay .

They are  Trulance 3 mg and Amitiza. Something to consider.

• Posted

I had meds that made me severely constipated (5 days or more between BMs),age ,,14 to 18,had to get we eekly enemas from mom,wish these new drugs were around back then
  • Posted

I work with people with special needs and for some reason this seems to be a common problem they have to endure. Sometimes it is a result of meds or just the way their digestive systems works. I believe you already follow best practice on diet , exercise, and drinking plenty water.

Here are a few things that I have observed help the people I work with. Cup of coffee first thing in the morning. Cauliflower, (sometimes I just make a lunch of cauliflower and cheese sauce.) The other one that I see helps is when I make a dish of roast mixed veg and potatoes. Drinking water throughout the meal and smaller meals more often. Warm baths.

I hope you might find something useful to apply to your situation. I wish you well.

• Posted

Have you tried enemas?
    • Posted

I have, and not the Fleets that you find over the counter at the pharmacies.

I have a regular large enema bag which does help sometimes. Her Gastroenterologist has even prescribed GoLitely which is prescribed when individuals are getting ready to have a Colonoscopy which does help. It will not be prescribed on a long term basis though.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.