chronic health anxiety

Posted , 5 users are following.

can anyone helpme? docs have diagnosed health anxiety but im convinced i have me,ihave numb cheeks,tingly chin and lips,tingling feet and one numb sometimes tingly hand,anybody else relate to this?

2 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

sorry im meant im convinced i have ms not me
  • Posted

That's how health anxiety works unfortunately, convinces us that we have all manner of things. When your Anxiety is controlled these fixations will stop. Don't Google symptoms though, trust your Dr. Have they prescribed any treatment for anxiety? Meds or therapy?
    • Posted

i am on propranolol 80mg twice a day and sertraline 50mg once a day but nothing is helping ,been on these for 2-3weeks,
  • Posted

Hi Sarah

Welcome to the forum

All these symptoms are anxiety its hard I know to believe  but try some therapy to try and learn how to cope with it or it will take over your life

An easy way to get your head round it is there is a switch in your brain that is broken and it makes you think your in danger when your not causing panic/anxiety.

This forum is excellen for support

Stay Strongcool

• Posted

thankyou lynne for your reply,this has taken over my life already,3 doctors have diagnosed anxiety but ive made the mistake of using google and of course it brings up ms,its the face thing that worries me the most,cheeks feel numb but kinda full and a bit tingly then chin teeth and lips tingle ,this is constant it never ever stops or eases ever!
    • Posted

I totally understand I refused to believe that the symptoms were psychosimatic it wasnt until I came onto forums like this I realised I wasnt alone
  • Posted

It's important thing with health anxiety is to recognise it as anxiety and not to feel you have to find resolution to the physical health symptoms. If you try you'll go round forever as there is no physical problem to resolve. I'd agree therapy is a good place to start and try to not listen to people who encourage you to have physical things checked (you should always in the first instance have things checked with a Dr which you have). People who have no understanding of health anxiety tend to give bad advice, not on purpose usually but they don't understand the nuances of health anxiety
    • Posted

thankyou for the advice,i am currently waiting for a phyciatrists appointment so maybe that will help,the face symptoms are soooo real and make me feel scary/panicky and the numb sensation is there all the time same with my feet,cant be rational about it at all,does any of my symptoms sound like ms?im terrified docs are missing something because im so anxious
    • Posted

Symptoms can relate to any illness at all, that's the problem, we become symptomatic of everything and anything. Psychiatry is a good place to be, until then stay off Google and try to keep as calm and distracted as you can
    • Posted

No Sarah. Not MS but hyperventilation. Numb or tingly feelings in hands, feet, face and lips are typical of hyperventilation. I expect you get feelings of stiffness in your fingers and face too, plus dizziness and slight nausea. These are all symptoms of hyperventilation - over-breathing without realising you're doing it. Hyperventilation is brought on by anxiety. It's completely harmless but can produce very unpleasant feelings. I used to do it when I was young and still catch myself starting even now, in my 70s, if I'm very anxious.

I'm a former neuro nurse, btw.

• Posted

thankyou lily that has reassured me slightly,i have it all the time in my face then a little numbness in left forearm that comes and goes then my left hand is quite often numb and tingly,sometimes 2 fingers sometimes whole hand,feet constantly tingle,i dont have stiffness in fingers but sometimes pain in 2 fingers,my cheeks are kind of numb/tingly/throbbing constantly and i feel like i have tremors so thats why im so scared,is it possible to have all of this all of the time and all down to anxiety?
    • Posted

i do have face stiffness though,its like my face is a bit frozen if that makes sense
  • Posted

Unfortunately we all have it...: that's what happens when I'm feeling anxiety.... Then it get worse and I have a full out anxiety attack and have all those symptoms.... It feels like a heart attack
  • Posted

Any kind of tingling or numbness should be seen by a neurologist,  it sounds nerve related and since it is in more than one place, it could be anything.  The world of nerve disorders is enormous and complicated.  Some diseases, like diabetes ( and I am not saying you have that...) can cause nerve type pain and numbness.  Chart when it started, keep a daily recording of how severe or mild it is and where it is.  Then, take this chart to the doc with you, lay it on their desk and be sure they answer each concern to your satisfaction.  You may need some tests to find answers unless the range of symptoms you have may be easier to diagnose.  One never knows but take charge, keep records of all symptoms (including any new ones or ones that have disappeared) and be diligent about your care.  Stay positive and don't worry until you have a reason, ok?
  • Posted

I get tingly face, different parts but i was told it was from tmj by a surgeon.the rest of what you wrote matches anxiety according to the symptoms. Also have odd tinnitis at times. Wow I just read lilys said it was breathing related which is relieving and interesting. But i know inhave tmj so i think its different sensations. Got to love anxiety it really makes ine huge mess in the body 😞

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.