Chronic low stomach acid

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi,

I am a student and since last year I have chronic low stomach acid. It began with not eating healthy(I ate a lot of fried food and yoghurt) then I had strong pain several days and went to a doctor. He told me I might have gastritis and I took Pantroprazole, but he didn't ordered examination. After one month I felt   problems with digestion when i ate meat or fruits, so i didnt eat them. Then i had endoscopy, which showed gastritis with low stomach acid in winter 2014. After two month pause the doctor told me to take proton inhibitor again for one month, but I felt that it makes my digestion worse. Totally I have taken Pantroprazole and Nexium for 3 months and this summer after second endoscopy they told me I dont have gastritis, but I have digestion related complaints. I know that I have low stomach acid and I feel my food is slowly digested and I get headaches from it. Why my stomach aicd is not returning after stopping the medication? What else can cause this problem and what medical examinations should i do to find the cause?

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Kal

Have you had a test for H.Pylori (Helicobacter Pylori). It is a tiny bacteria that burrows into the stomach wall and duodenum and causes excess stomach acid. Go back to your GP and ask for a test, which is carried out via stool test or breath test. It is quite common and can be treated with antibiotics. I dont understand why GP's do not test for this initially when patients complain of stomach acid......hope this helps....best wishes and hope you get to the bottom of the problem....

• Posted

Hi,

I tested with serum blood test for antibodies, but it showed very little antibodies to be considered infected with H. Pylori. Should I make a test for Candida and thyroid to see if one of them causes this? Sometimes when my digestion is really bad I feel dull pain in the area of my neck/throat(probably the thyroid).

• Posted

What do you think about the H pylori blood test do you think its not as accurate as the stool or breath test
  • Posted

Try a tablespoon of each (liquid):

Mix :

Acidopholus

Aloe Vera juice

Lemon juice

• Posted

Ok sounds good for the short term of time, I will try it, but I need to find the cause so that I can truly correct this problem. wink
  • Posted

Same problem here! Don't take acid reducers when you are already low in acid! I take a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar each day. Fixes that!
  • Posted

How does a doctor no you have low stomach acid, just by not seeing enough and with an insta endoscopy today actually get all the way up in your stomach to determine this. Did he do another kind of acid test, gastritis is just inflammation of the lining of the stomach correct so what I am asking is did he diagnose you with low stomach acid. Are you already on proton pump inhibitors prior to the endoscopy because that shuts down your acid production and that would be very explainable and yes does cause problems in itself is not good for you, because when you stop them it creates a kind of rebound effect.
    • Posted

The endoscopy last year revealed that there was low amount of stomach aicd and before having an endoscopy I didn't take any medications for 1 month. Even when I stopped them I still feel I have slow digestion and sometimes I bloat a lot.
    • Posted

Those are the same symptoms I have slow motility and bloating in my left side where my stomach is. But can stomach acid fluctuate and have both how do you tell when your stomach acid is low compared to excessive heat burning I would guess overproduction of acid I'll have to look more into this. I mean what other symptoms would. Would be with low stomach acid
    • Posted

Slow digestion is a sign of low stomach acid. I have that problem. I can eat a meal and 6 hours later the food is still there. Adding a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar to your tummy fixes that and it is very healthy too. It is an antioxidant as well.
    • Posted

But what is the cause of you low stomach acid in your case? Did you have gastritis or bacterial infection?
    • Posted

Taking antacids and perform pump inhibitors will shut it down. Also, drinking too much water and fluids. I drink a lot of water and take antacids when I don't feel well, so taking the vinegar brings it back to a safe level.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.