Chronically itchy lower legs

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have been suffering with chronically itchy lower legs, like on my shins and to either side , but typically not the backs, not above the knee, and no other part of my body. This has been going on for years and years, in spite of using creams and lotions. They do appear to be bites, but I don't have bed bugs or fleas of any kind. It's actually quite embarrassing and my legs are covered in scars and sores in that area. The itching is incredibly intense and almost seems to get worse with scratching. Oddly, here in just the last couple of days I've been doing the seemingly unthinkable... treating them with rubbing alcohol... and It is working fairly well. Relieves the itching for hours at a time.. any idea of what could be causing this? I don't really have the luxury of going to the doctor about something seemingly so stupid, but I'm worried that there is something more to this. Like I said, it's very localized and seems very strange to me that alcohol of all things would relieve it. That seems contrary to everything I have ever heard about dry skin and rashes...

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

could be exema. try using foaming soap from now on on your body. special cream for exema too.

• Posted

CBD oil/cream (aka weed cream) works well for eczema. Its now sold over-the-counter in Washington pharmacies.

I get very itchy on my lower legs but it's not exzema. I'm still trying to figure what's causing it and my latest hunch is Candida. You could also check into that possibility.

Good luck.

Eddie

• Posted

jan i have had same issue for years, very aggravating . and yes the itching does get worse from scratching. my dr said when we scratch it causes the body to release more histamines causing more itching. its a never ending cycle until the cycle is broken. some ways to start below.

have you seen a derm, had any biopsies taken may help identify the culprit. can check for yeast ,itching can also be caused by diabetes, pre-diabetes, many types of fungus or blood flow issues. even regular medications. it could be so many things important to see a derm.

Apply topical anesthetics that contain pramoxine a skin numbing agent or apply cooling agents, such as menthol, aloe vera, sprays for sun burn are especially cooling or calamine.

lack of sunshine. the body make vit d from sun exposure , itching could a deficit of vit d and or b complex . vit b deficit can cause nerve and blood flow issues in extremities and in turn cause itching. .

some aging folks have dry skin and taking fish oils and eating fish help.sugars seem to dry out skin especially in winters try to cut down on carbs and sugar.

use only simple natural soaps no chemicals. nothing with sodium laural sulfate.

or could be eczema a chronic skin disorder that includes another skin issue itchy psoriasis ... i have and is an autoimmune disease that causes skin to itch ... also could be contact dermatitis.

if all else fails it could be something in the water system irritating skin. i have added filters ,and black light on all in coming water into the house as well a adding soft water to the entire system. made a big difference.

could try magnesium spray helps some folks. its all one thing and half a dozen of another...just more stuff....

i suspect since the itching is localized in the area on your lower legs ,shins , i suspect its an internal issue. its a lot to try to pin it down if a biopsy doesnt show anything. one last thing helps my mystery itching a lot , is hydroxyzine tabs for itching hcl 25 mg. good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.