Circuit Training for knees

Posted , 11 users are following.

i have just been to my first class of four , circuit training for new knees. Was really worried but needn't have. 10 positions three minutes each, from sitting and standing, leg raises with weights, balancing on one leg, cycling, walking backwards and sideways with squats and more . Physio said she was impressed. Yay , feel good, celebrating with a nice cold cider in the garden ( UK !) Walked three miles this morning. Ten weeks on Monday , getting there! Booked holiday for September, easy walks + Wine  and Tapas in Northern Spain. For all of those people who are just starting on the journey, stay positive. 

2 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Wow well done am still on painkillers. (Yes a wuss have low pain threshold ) so alcohol on hold for another few weeks - liver probably better for it
  • Posted

Hi joy24273,

Wow, you are doing so much better than me. I am 10 weeks pkr and I also went to circuits yesterday and found it quite hard. I am still in a lot of pain and also still use one stick when walking long distances. Went to see consultant today and was hoping to get discharged but he showed concern as I have a crunching sound on my knee cap when straightening leg, so I have to go back in 6 months. Must admit I am a bit disheartened.

• Posted

I still take a stick if the ground is uneven. Surely if you don't have another appointment for six months it is OK, my consultant was pleased with me and I still have another appointment in six months. Can't say I have any crunching sound though. No pain though even after the exercises today. Aching a bit, how was your knee before the op? One of the ladies today said hers was excruciating before the op but now although painful better! Try to keep positive I am sure if something was really wrong you would have had another appointment sooner? 
  • Posted

Yes my knee was also very painful before op and there is an improvement. I know I should be a bit more positive. Leg is really swollen tonight after the circuits. They gave me the option of going into the easier class but I don't really want to do that. Will try to keep at it. Was a bit surprised about the follow up appointment only because when I spoke to consultant before I left hospital he said that there would only be one check up and that would be that.
    • Posted

what are these 'circuits???  I need to do something . . still having problems going down stairs. i can do it without the crutch, but it hurts!
    • Posted

I am going for my third session tomorrow. So squats, as low as you can hold for three seconds, 3 minutes, cycling , little foot one, stand on one leg , balance if you can for between 5 and 20!seconds, practicing walking normally, backwards , one foot in front of the other, drunk test! , standing up and sitting down in chair as slowly as possible, hold onto a chair and try to lift leg towards bottom ( physio puts weights on our ankles!), straight leg raises on bed, step  using operated leg first ( I did this on first step of stairs), sitting in chair and bringing leg back as far as possible. Might have missed something but warm up first by walking round and then stretches afterwards. Might have missed something but more interesting than the ones I had for home. Mind you it helps having nine other people with you. I am the only woman in my group! Some of the men are good, five weeks and doing better! 
    • Posted

Thanks for the detailed response!  the squats sound like a good exercise, but horribly painful I should think . .I'll give it a try . . . No bicycle unfortunately!  Stand on one leg. . .think it may be a few seconds, as my balance has been bad for years!  Like the idea of walking backwards, and the drunk test! Step using the operated leg I have been doing for months, but not much progress!  Sitting in chair and bringing leg back as far as possible I do two or three times a day for ten minutes or so until the tears stop me, but still only 100/105 bend . . not good!rolleyes
    • Posted

I have never been able to balance on one leg, the physio said hold on to the chair if you need to then try without even if it is only two seconds it will get better. Your brain needs to get the confidence, same with the drunk test could not do it to start with! Squats just as low as you can, our physios do not expect you to hurt, little by little. My bend at eleven weeks is only 110 but again the physios said it was good, it will improve. It may take longer because I don't push it but I would rather it took longer and hurting myself. I have never believed the no pain no gain thing and I refuse to take pain killers before I do exercise , it means you push it then hurt afterwards. 
    • Posted

I worry that it may become so stiff and fixed that I'll never get more bend though . . .some say you can go on improving for ages, and other doctors say there is a specific time period and after that , you have shot it! difficult to know what to believe . . .
  • Posted

Week 10/11 and returning to work next week I also do circuit training once a week at the rehab gym in our hospital

Rowing machine / stairs / small exercise bike / balancing ball and steps all for 3m each also a weight machine managed to avoid the cross trainer couldn't do it before let alone now but also stretches bends straightening - pure torture but worth it (eventually I hope)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.