cit and diazepam. Other peoples experiences please!

Posted , 4 users are following.

Ive been on the cit a three weeks now and feeling marginally better. Howevter I know that I will still get dips and days where I the anxiety is a killer. The doctor has prescribed diazepam for me to take as and when required however Im terrified to take them because of their recknowned addictive quality. I welcome anyone elses experiences of taking both ad's and sedatives so I can make an informed decision about whether to take them or not.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi i too have been given the Citolapram and diazepam in the night. To be honest neither seem to work. I am not sure if it is the depression or me making matters worse, but i have never experienced anxiety so badly.

I shake violently everywhere for an hour and have done in the last couple of days and my head wants to explode. I am surviving on a couple of hours sleep a week and it is slowly making my illness worse. Diazepam did not make any difference so i took it with 2 sleepilng tablets but saw no improvement. Anxiety is hell for anyone as is depresssion. I am trying to change the citopram even though the doctor has advised i stick with them but after 11 days i have become so much worse.

Try them for a few days and see how you get on.

Good luck with your illness. The key is to not be so inner but when you are so ill it is impossible to not be!!

We have to try and be positive as if not this takes you right down and believe me it is not very nice..

• Posted

Hi, Hopefully as the cit really begins to do its work after a number of weeks, you will need the diaz less and less. Always reassuring to have some spare diaz - just as a back up. Let us all get well soon. mq7.
  • Posted

Stopped taking these dreaded things. Everyone to their own but after being on them 11 days the anxiety and things were getting so much worse. To make matters worse i had a visit from the mental health people at my request and they tell me that i have severe anxiety and although these are meant in a sense to treat anxiety they have made me dizzy in the head, surging in the head with anxiety and very very ill, this was not happening before i took them!!

I assumed it was me but today although i am still anxious and my head is surging i know that these tablets just made it and my insomnia worse and made me 100 times more edgey!

The whole lot of them have gone down the sink! These tablets are lethal in my opinion and should be banned!

If they treated just the anxiety disorder because i panicked about not sleeping i would never have been this bad. After nearly 4 months of an hour or two's sleep a week the doctors said i had anxiety yet they gave me those!

I would of been better by now and i feel very very angry!!

• Posted

[quote:fb7609fcd8=\"PRaymond \"]Stopped taking these dreaded things. Everyone to their own but after being on them 11 days the anxiety and things were getting so much worse. To make matters worse i had a visit from the mental health people at my request and they tell me that i have severe anxiety and although these are meant in a sense to treat anxiety they have made me dizzy in the head, surging in the head with anxiety and very very ill, this was not happening before i took them!!

I assumed it was me but today although i am still anxious and my head is surging i know that these tablets just made it and my insomnia worse and made me 100 times more edgey!

The whole lot of them have gone down the sink! These tablets are lethal in my opinion and should be banned!

If they treated just the anxiety disorder because i panicked about not sleeping i would never have been this bad. After nearly 4 months of an hour or two's sleep a week the doctors said i had anxiety yet they gave me those!

I would of been better by now and i feel very very angry!![/quote:fb7609fcd8]

I'm really sorry to hear you had such a bad experience with Citalopram. I'm about to start taking them myself, so of course stories like yours are a little off putting.

That said, I think it's worth doing a bit of research. It even says on the label that they can take between 2 and 4 weeks before you see any benefit at all. And a quick google search would reveal that after you get over the initial hump the increased anxiety, apathy, insomnia etc go away. of course, i think the gp's should make this more clear, but still. Not everybody reacts so violently, and there are many success stories. call me naive, but i really can't see ssri's being subscribed at all if they made even half of patients feel like you did.

Anyway, I truly hope you are able to solve your problems by some other means. smile.

• Posted

Ali, I was on cit with diaz for 18 months. My dr told me to take the diaz when I was having a bad time, for maybe 2 or 3 days, then try not to take them for a couple of weeks. I think if you take them all the time they lose their effect so you end up wanting more.

I'm now off the cit, but I still have a supply of diazepam, and if I get upset about something I do take the odd one to calm me down. I've always found they make me very sleepy tho, but at least I relax!

If you're worried about their effect, try taking half a tablet and see how you feel.

Praymond, there are lots of other anti ds out there and maybe you should try something else which suits you better (but bear in mind that most of these anti anxiety drugs do take weeks rather than days to have an effect) Have you been back to your dr?

• Posted

My GP put me on cit when i saw her regarding an addiction to diaz. I have found only positives from taking them.

My addiction councilor has helped me lower mt dose of diaz from 80mg a day 5 weeks ago to 50 mg this week.

Previously my diaz dose had been lowered by myself from around 160-200mg a day.

So if your using them to stabilize serotonin levels and general motivation stick with them they do take around 2 weeks to actually get going.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.