cit vs cbt

Posted , 4 users are following.

So looking for some advise/opinions.

i started doing cbt but by the second session my anxiety was so bad i caved and started taking cit which has helped alot, i have had some time to look at the cbt material and im not sure its going to help being that it all seems to be based around disraction which to me is no better than using the pills to mask the symptoms. So i guess what im asking is what do you think of cbt is it worth doing?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

HI Sean

From my own personal experience I had 2 rounds of CBT (and therapy) and it was only helpful whilst I was doing the actual course.  I got a point during therapy that my anxiety was so high like you I started Citalopram.  I had been on anti depressants in the past so was really loath to not give in.  I think it's impossible to distract ourselves when feeling anxious anyway.  I did get to the point before starting meds this time that I could control the panic attacks but not the anxiety.  I think in my opinion you are doing the best you can right now for yourself so don't beat yourself up about it.  

• Posted

I didn't have cbt but did practice mindfullness which is along the same lines...if ur anxiety is towards a specific thing like being anxious about siders or something then yes u can distract urself from this but if it's generalised anxiety then  it is much more difficult as the anxiety is there pretty much all the time and u never no when the attacks will strike....the citalopram will ease the symptoms and hopefully give enough headspace to try and change things in ur life
  • Posted

Hi Sean

Are you having sessions of CBT with someone, or is this self help?  I think CBT is worth doing, but also take the Citalopram too.  The medication really will help.  It works by hanging onto your serotonin for longer, which are the happy hormones.  They'll help get you into a better, calmer place, and you'll be able to think more clearly, be more positive and feel so much happier.

The pills don't mask the situation, the actually help to alter brain chemicals.  You wouldn't try and cope with epilepsy without medication.  Depression is an illness, and medication is there to help.

K x 

• Posted

I should have mentioned i have general anxiety so the distractions taught in cbt dont seem to work for me as the anxiety is always there.
    • Posted

Hi Sean,I am having CBT terapy but my anxiety makes me feel very ill and I decided to try Citalopram.I am on day 4 waiting...I hope it will start working soon
    • Posted

I know what you mean, I didn't find it helped much either, but it does with some people.  It's good to 'attack' the depression from all angles though, but for me I found the medication helped me recover.

K x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.