citalalapram

Posted , 6 users are following.

hi all I was wandering if someone could help me I've been off cetalapram now for 2 months after reducing down from 20mg to 10mg I am now totally off them but the side effects are really bad can anyone tell me how long these side effects last as I'm not sure I can cope being off them with there affects or should I just go back and stay on them pls help thankyou

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

It could last weeks or months..
    • Posted

how do you know have you tried this I'm due back at my go on Friday and i dont know if i should just go back on them or ride it out txs

• Posted

Both..from me not doing a proper reduction I suffered the consequences..10 to zero is not proper..I was stupid enough to listen to my GP.and the discontinuation side effects where horrendous..
    • Posted

txs Lois I'm due to see my GP on Friday not sure whether to ride it out or go back on them as the affects of being off are really bad just struggling with this decision

• Posted

If you can deal with the effects ride it out if not introduce a low milligram like 5..
    • Posted

txs Lois you have been most helpfull have you fully come off them
    • Posted

No .I take 10m.and iam recovered ..I don't want to mess with a good thing..after been a guinea pig to five different ssris..

• Posted

Hi  Suki, like Lois I also struggled to cut out all together & once I got used to 10 mg once more, it feels to me, like I’m not on a drug anymore, but if you think you can ride it out, I wish you good luck with your bravery.

• Posted

thanks Mike I'm not sure if I'm that brave it's knowing how long the side effects of coming off are going to last

• Posted

It sounds like too fast a taper. Obviously I can't tell you what to do, but I would be tempted to reinstate eg at 5 or 10mg, stay put for a few months, seriously, just to stabilise, and then do a reeeeally slow taper.

If you read around online, lots of sites don't recommend tapering by more than 10 per cent of your dose, every four weeks.

Personally, I would think about that, or by reducing by a really small increment eg 10 mg, 7.5mg, 5mg, 2.5 mg, 1.25....and I'd be staying at each dose for at least a month, probably a lot longer.

Have weaned off 10 mg before in this way.

• Posted

thank you Ruth most helpful I think you are probably right coming off is the worst experience I've ever know I will speak to my gp on Friday about going back on with a low dose and coming of extremely slowly I appreciate your honesty txs

• Posted

You're most welcome, it's a hard old slog, be gentle on self x

• Posted

Hi Suhki

I was on citalopram for 4 years and felt so well I cam off in January. Howerver6 months later I see my symptoms coming back - frustrated anxiety causing strain on my loved ones - in particular on my partner - who hasn’t changed but I criticise and pick on - I feel dissatisfied and quick to make sharp comments. I didn’t want it to be ‘me’. I’m very sad and upset that I’ve proved to myself that I need the citalopram ‘leveller’ to be a consistent and nicer person. Life is short. Why make it harder? (My daughters words!) you are lucky if you’ve identified your challenges and even luckier if you’ve found a solution. It society stigma telling us we should’ve perfect and you should manage this all with mindfulness !  I’ve just had a really tough week and thought out divorce! Even checked out houses. And now I can’t believe I felt that bad. It’s all a bit embarrassing to be honest. How can I feel so diminished, broken and hopeless one week and completely chilled the next.? So I just got 10mg prescription and I hope I’m going to stop beating myself up about needing it. X

• Posted

I thank you dee I too went threw a very bad time which lasted for 3 years with postnatal depression and my husband was the best you can have I would never criticised anyone needing help from any source I have decided to go back on them because I just can't put my family threw this again I am a lot older now and only started needing help just over a year ago I just felt like that I didn't need them anymore but after reading a lot of people on this forum I think yes I probably do need them because at the moment I don't recognise myself I do wish you all the look in the world and stay positive and most of all happy

• Posted

Hi Suki, the last 10mg of cita is alot harder than dropping from 20mg to 10mg, I have also read that coming off them quickly lengthens the withdrawal. Well worth going back to 5 or 10mg. Unfortunately you will feel the affects of that, then once you settle you can reduce by small amounts to lesson the withdrawal effects.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.