Citalapram advice pls!

Posted , 11 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

Hi I started on citalapram 20mg last week.

I struggle with overwhelming emotions and anxiety, constantly worrying and always expecting the worse. I didn't want to go on to antidepressants but I can't live like this anymore.

I've had some time off work due to my symptoms getting worse and affecting my daily life, but am due to go back in a weeks time.

Since starting the citalapram Im constantly exhausted, feeling hot and my head feels foggy. Im also finding it harder to sleep at night and im worried about how this will affect me when I go back to work.

Im wandering what the best time is to take the tablet to try and prevent the tiredness or if this these side affects will stop over time?

I'd also like to know what your experience was on this medication did it help with your anxiety/depression etc?

Thanks

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

• Posted

Hi smile 

I have been on Citalopram since the beginning of July. The first two weeks weren't great, I felt sick, more anxious than normal and had the hot sweats! Once the side effects eased, I still felt anxious and at times I still struggled to get through the day feeling 'normal' but being a couple of months in I can definitely say I am feeling better. It can take 6-8 weeks for Citalopram to get into your system! It did take a while but for me it has been worth it, I am also attending therapy sessions and they work well together. I take my tablet in the morning and sleep fine at night. 

The tiredness has yet to go away! I'm definitely not as tired as when I first started taking them but still get tired. 

Keep going with it smile 

X

• Posted

Thanks for the reply. The tiredness really bothers me but if it will ease in time I guess it is worth persevering.

Im glad they are helping you 😊

• Posted

Hi! I've been on it for a few years now and found that taking it before bed rather than in the morning as originally recommended really helped me. I'm still a lot more tired than I was before I went on it, but the truth of the matter is that citalopram is a type of sedative so it will always have that effect to a certain degree. Good luck!

• Posted

Hi Jade.

Im not sure. I've taken the tablet at 6pm to try and sleep off the drowsiness but now im wide awake, im not sure what to do. If I take tgem in the morning I'll be sooo out if it for work but if I take tgem at night I can't sleep! X

• Posted

Hi Tar4 you will get side effects - they usually take around 6-8 weeks before they get into your system. You will start feeling better - there is light at the end of the tunnel as they say! I've been on citalopram for 20+ years on & off - I am constantly tired but I'm on 30mg. When I'm in a more happier place I'm going to try to go down to 20mg. The medication will help but if you don't think it is you could ask your gp to try something else. Good luck & stay strong you will get better. 😊

• Posted

Thanks Rachel.

So you are constantly tired🤤im not sure if I can cope with that long term. Do you take them in the morning or at night? Do they affect your sleeping at all? X

• Posted

Hi Tar4 yes I'm constantly tired but I'm hoping when I'm in a better place I'll go down to 20mg. I've got alot going on at the moment that is affecting my sleep but I walk alot & do yoga which helps enormously. I've always taken mine in the morning. Just try & bear with how it's making you feel right now it will all settle down honestly. Take great care of yourself.

• Posted

I am taking mine at night to ease my tiredness on recommendation from the dr and helps a lot. It will get easier once the side effects wear off and go back on a phased return to work and when ready and listen to what your anxiety is telling you as mine was I was in the wrong job. I hope things get easier.
    • Posted

Thanks. I've taken mine at night today to see if that makes a difference. Do you find that you can't sleep if you take them at night? X

• Posted

I've always taken mine at night. I figure the tab is fresh in my system so you will be most tired just after you take it. That's my plan and I'm sticking to it. I'm in a roughy spell at the mo. Just hoping it wears of soon. For me the tiredness and fatigue is a menace. Still better than feeling bad though. 

• Posted

Hi there. I have been posting allot recently. Most important !! Stick at it. The first 2-3 weeks are the worst. Loss of sleep, loss of appetite possibly and increased anxiety but it does get easier. I have just started week 4 and am feeling 75% better and am able to function again. Most importantly, DO NOT rush back to work if that is adding to your anxiety. It will just prolong the symptoms of anxiety. Go back on a phased return when you feel you can. This is my 7th time in 20 years taking the stuff and each time the routine is the same. Yes sleepless nights are all part and parcel of the first few weeks but try not to stress about it.  Its amazing how little sleep we can function on for a while.  I did take zopiclone sleeping tablets for a little while but be careful as they can be addictive but for the odd night it helps.  Push on through, Like most people, you will feel the benefits soon even if it does not feel like it. xx
    • Posted

Thanks for the reply. Im going to try and take some more time off work bcuz you're right it is adding to my anxiety!

The doc prescribed me zolpidem which I took for 6 nights but it makes me more drowsy in the day and im scared I'll get addicted so I didn't take one last night, but I've woke up with a horrible sinking feeling and soooo depressed! Im not sure if this is some kind of small withdrawal from the zolpidem? Anyway I've decided not to take that as frequently anymore!

Did your insomnia settle down?Today I've only taken 10mg of citalapram in the morning, im thinking maybe going straight to 20mg was to much for my body, so im going to work back up slowly.

I feel such a mess right now and as if all this medication is making me worse. But I want to try and get through the first few weeks bcuz im scared to have the anxiety and constant worrying that I've struggled with for so many years, will the Citalapram eventually help with this?

• Posted

I so needed to read this, I just started a week ago and find I am most anxious in the morning and it is all due to lack of sleep, last week I got no sleep at all but this week been getting at least four hours if that but always wake up at 3am wide awake and cant fall back asleep, did this happen to you as well.  
    • Posted

Hi hun.

Yes I couldn't sleep. I was prescribed sleeping tablets to help but I don't want to become addicted so I stopped them. I took 10mg yesterday instead of 20mg and I actually slept well last night 😊 im due to see my doc today so I'll discuss it with her.

What other side effects are you having? What dose are you on ?

Ive started itching aswell!

• Posted

Hi. Yes Citalopram will help but it just takes a while. I stopped taking sleeping tablets about 4 days ago for the same reasons as you. Am only getting about 4 hours sleep a night but am managing to cope on that. Try not to sleep during the day and any exercise you can do will really help. Even a couple of short walks.  I thought I would be back to work in 2 weeks but 5 weeks in I am still off.  Hoping to go back on a phased approach in 10 days. Hang in there. It does ease but it is bloody uncomfortable during the first 3-5 weeks. Keep doing research online as it really helps.  You are not alone.  Good luck x
    • Posted

I'm on 10mg once a day, was also given ativan to sleep but I dont take them at night for same reason, I may take half of one during the day for work for now.  I actually slept 6 hours last night I'm so happy smile  maybe all the running up and down four flights of stairs doing laundry after work did it for me.  I do find though I wake up anxious and night time im calmer.  Also my vision seems blurry but not sure if its from the anxiety, working on a computer all day or my smartphone at night.  And my body always feels heavy if that makes sense but also could be due to the anxiety and just found out I have a bulging disc in my c5/c6  so as you can imagine all this is just putting extra stress on me.  What side effects do you have if you dont mind me asking.  

• Posted

Hi.

My doc recommended I go down to 10mg and see if it helps with the side effects etc. I get dry mouth about an hour after taking the tablet, blurred vision, tiredness, insomnia (although that seems to be getting better).

So glad you got 6 hours - it's horrible mot being able to sleep!

Do you feel as though your having any improvement at all yet?

• Posted

Thank you for your reply,,  I spoke to soon, last night only got three hours sleep and now at work so irritable and anxious.  There are days I feel like its working and others I wonder if I should up it to 20mg after calling my dr first of course.  Today is the 10th day I have been on it and also get massive dry mouth after taking it and the blurred vision which is kinda scary but makes me feel little better i'm not the only one.  Im just always so anxious also in the morning and wondering if its the lack of sleep adding to it.  Do you get irritable from it also?

• Posted

Mornings are always worse because your serotonin levels are at their lowest after sleep and your cortisol levels which are a stress hormone are at their highest. I have taken to going to bed later so that I try to get up at a normal time but the mornings can be really tough. Day 10. Keep going. It gets easier after 3 weeks but the sleep may not return for a while. Try not to stress too much about the lack of sleep. Its amazing what we can survive on. One night I stayed up all night to try to avoid the morning anxiety. Not recommended !! smile  Dry mouth is also normal. Try chewing gum.  Good luck

• Posted

Thats my problem, I stress way to much on not being able to sleep especially when I have to get up for work which is mon-fri.  the Dr. just upped my dose to 20mg fingers crossed that I start feeling a little normal again.  Always scary with these meds, havent taken them in over 10 years. 
    • Posted

Hi, can you please answer this question for me?  I get it, everyone is different and it takes time.  My son has autism and he cant tell me, just react.  He started 5 mgs and went up to 10 mgs in the month of April.  Then on May 1st he went up to 20 mgs.  When he was on 5 and 10 and even 20 he never for a second suffered from the backwards side effects of that really bad anxiety.  Actually the anxiety was so much better.  The doctor wanted to see if would be better on a higher dose, so he put him on 30 and it aggravated his seizures to bad that I haven't been that scared in a very long time.  During that higher dosage his anxiety came back, knocked him down to 25 mgs and the same thing, bad anxiety with the seizures.  On either Aug 9th or Aug 16 I lowered back down to 20 mgs where it worked really well for him.  He had the best week!  Then the 2nd week and so on has been a nightmare!  His anxiety is through the roof!!!  I have gotten great advice from someone else about how it takes time.  But I want you opinion on how he was good then went backwards.  

Thanks.

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up