CITALAPRAM AND ANXIETY

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello

I have been on 20mg of Citalapram for for 4  weeks( I take the tablet in the morning). I have seen no change in my condition which is OCD with intrusive thoughts.

Initially my anxiety levels were worse in the mornings but things seemed to have stabiised now back to pre med anxiety levels ( which are still high ).

I have received responses from another OCD disscusion group that Citalapram is an antidepressant and does not reduce anxiety? Is this true?

Thanks for any input

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Citalopram is the best antidepressants for anxiety that's why I take it. I think Prozac helps OCD, not sure about intrusive thought? Have you tried any other meds? Citalopram can take 6-8 weeks to fully work.
  • Posted

Hi

The main reasons I went onto Citalopram was acute anxiety and depression and a difficult menopause. My blood pressure was very high (in 'normal' times my blood pressure is 'good' for my age). It has worked wonders for me, it took a while before I overcame the initial acclimatisation, feeling unwell in several different ways, but then I started to feel so much better mentally, blood pressure back to normal and my hot flushes died away. I would give it more time. 

Take care - all the best to you

• Posted

Rest assured, Citalopram does reduce anxiety and lift depression.  It took 3-4 months for it to work for me, so 4 weeks is still early days.  You need lots of patience and perseverance on this type of medication ...... it will work.  I had severe anxiety and depression for 15 years and nothing helped until I started on SSRI's and have been well now for about 16 years.

K x

• Posted

Rest assured, Citalopram does reduce anxiety and lift depression.  It helps alleviate the intrusive thoughts too, which are often locked in with anxiety.  It took 3-4 months for it to work for me, so 4 weeks is still early days.  You need lots of patience and perseverance on this type of medication ...... it will work.  I had severe anxiety and depression, thoughts etc for 15 years and nothing helped until I started on SSRI's and have been well now for about 16 years.

K x

• Posted

Oops sorry, I've posted twice .... one with an addition. biggrin
  • Posted

Apparently in Spain Citalopram is often prescribed for OCD.

The best thing is to hang in there-Citalopram takes time and patience to work, once it kicks in you will start to see and feel a lot of improvement.

• Posted

Citalopram takes 6 - 8 weeks to work. Anxiety is increased to start with. I am prescribed mine for depression, anxiety and panic attacks. Anxiety is hardly there now and only had a couple of panic attacks since last July. My depression is stable at the moment. I would give it a bit more time and see what happens. 

Best wishes.

Elizabeth.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.