Citalapram discontinuation

Posted , 5 users are following.

Can people supervise me for awhile please.? It seems like an unknown journey for me X quite scary.

After long term use of Citalapram( 15 years X getting up to 60 mg X they ceased working ) I tapered off far too fast X I,VE ended up with extreme stress symptoms like heightened anxiety, lack of sleep X even some obsessive compulsive stuff I,VE never had before. Also lack of appetite , increased constipation, eyesight problems, brain zaps . I over react to anything X i,m not too nice to my husband at times with my irritability.

I use vitamins X eat well X enjoy daily exercise. The only relief to have noticeable effect has been having a long shower with warm water on my head. Also occasional use of an antihistamine called Restavit to help sleep. It has worked occasionally.

Today I reinstated with 2.5 mg. but maybe I,VE already stuffed up my central nervous system by being enduring withdrawal symptoms for too long. That is my fear.

i have a supportive husband who ,with me ,  felt  great disappointment at my going back on Cit.

Up until I got so stressed , my husband Michael was enjoying the drug free me , saying I was more " real".

i appreciate you reading this X maybe making comments.

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

The maximum dose for Citalopram in the uk is 40mg.

How long did it take you to reduce?

• Posted

I started in May this year X ended on Sept 16th.  Evidently nowhere near long enough, so I,VE really learned a lesson the hard way. 

How are we to know these things? These days there,s so much info given out but I,VE not seen anything on AD discontinuation.

l just hope my 2.5 works.

• Posted

Give it a little time.  You were off for about 7 weeks?  Still may be early enough for a small reinstatement to help, but it should help sooner than later.  When I reinstated Effexor after being off for 10 months, I felt it within an hour!  I'd been on it 12 years when I went off, so clearly still very dependant on it!  

What are your primary withdrawal symptoms?  Going back on a smidge won't take away all the positives such as being more "real."  I've read of many people feeling more "themselves" as they have tapered but aren't all the way off, yet.  

• Posted

Feeling stressed X anxious X at night not being able to stop focusing on feeling stressed. I get wet with sweat .

I actually felt really good X happy on 

Citalapram.  I never felt unreal. The only reason I ceased was that it stopped working for me.

However last  night I slept alright X now that I,m back on even a small dose I hope tonight goes well.

• Posted

So around 4 months you withdrew?  Is a little quick.  You say you stopped because the meds stopped working for you?  How long did you start feeling unwell again ...... was it occasionally or did it last for months?
    • Posted

About a month after my last dose , I started feeling fearful without anything to be frightened of, along with over reacting to everything with irritability etc. t

The fear episodes have gone now. My current symptoms are feeling stressed X anxious without overt cause as I have a happy life now.

• Posted

All withdrawal symptoms and I'm glad that the small dose seems to be helping, sounds like.
  • Posted

How are u different, when not taking citalprom to your self and to your husband.
    • Posted

Michael says I am more direct in my responses to him, that I don,t filter with so much kindness or consideration, I think he means. He appeared  to tolerate my irritability with him then.

My current stressed state is another thing though X I know it concerns him.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.