Citalapram going from 20mg to 30mg

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all

This is my week 3 of upping dose from 20mg to 30mg (I was on 20mg for 16 weeks )side effects not as bad as the start but now I'm feeling low again and have bad anxiety looking for some reasureance from people that have up dose could it take longer to work all together I've done 19 weeks not 😬

Any advice please

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hello Don,

Won't ask, as it is pretty obvious how things are going! Onward and slowly.

​As you may know I am on 40mg and each time I increased I suffered the side effects that I suffered, but it was easier each time. The anxiety thing was there (back again) and it took me up to the end of 6 months before it levelled out and the highs out weighed the lows. In fact I can't remember the transition, but it happened!

​One thing I managed to do was to ignore those lucky burgers that didn't need upping nor took as long to come through, I just accepted my lot and concentrated on me.

​When I get low now (which, honestly, does happen occasionally) I reach for a DVD by Satish Kumar in the Natural World BBC Series called Earth Pilgrim. I bought it as I do live in Devon (as he does) and it is local scenery, but it is so inspiring and uplifting I recommend it to anyone whoever they are however they are. Everyone enjoys.

​Think positive Don.

​Regards,

​David

• Posted

Yeh! And it sucks too!

​However, in the meantime, if you can, occupy yerself, I painted the front of the house and decorated inside and then sat down to started writing something I had wanted to do for many a year. I have also kept to a new lifestyle choice of quite smoking, cut way back on the drinking, no land meat, more fresh veg and fruit, sadly the exercise is not as it should be and not watch news just listening once a day.

​Today I have to sign on (as ESA signed me fit), fortunately I have a great employment guide (or whatever they call em these days!) who realises it may be soon, but I am finding the strength to soldier on. I could not have got thi sfar without strengthening other parts of my life, naturally without depending on the deadly short term fixes of tobacco or alcohol.

​Try not to think about how long the journey is, just try to go with it and  learn as you go. We are always here for you Don.

Best Regards on a wet Friday.

​David

• Posted

I had that at 3 weeks also but by 4 I was way better and now at 5 wks I feel normal again. You can have setbacks. Give it a bit longer.
    • Posted

Thanks clairepop

How long were u on 20mg before you upped dose ? I'm suffering from negative/intrusive thoughts just hoping this dose settles thing down but I know it can take time 😄

• Posted

I was in 20mg for several yrs so the side effects really hit me. I still have occasional negative thoughts but without anxiety easier to deal with. It will take time.
  • Posted

Hi Don

Sorry to hear you're suffering.  Remember, whatever dose you're on you very often still get that up and down wave during recovery.  It's not always a straight forward gradual process of building up to feeling well, but instead your feelings will be up and down along the way.  The low times are simply blips - your body adjusting.  It often takes many, many months to become ill, and so the process is just being reversed.

K x

• Posted

Hi Don

I upped my dose from 20mg to 30mg 5 weeks ago and had a terrible time with the side effects and the anxiety increasing.

I have had MANY days where the anxiety controlled me and I spent the day crying but I think slowly I am starting to get back those afternoons and evenings where I am feeling better. 

Honestly give yourself 6-8 weeks after a dose increase! That is what I keep telling myself and I think it is much more realistic. 

Hang in there!

• Posted

I'm on wk 6 after dose increase. Had a setback just yesterday. Was Gd for two wks. Then felt really tired but had to go out so got anxious. Felt fine later had s sleep but in night had keep going loo. Now woke with fuzzy sore head and general yuk feeling. Hate how anxiety does this.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.