Citalapram to mirtazapine

Posted , 5 users are following.

hi after some advice I have currently been on 40 mg citalapram and the doc has just changed it to 15mg of mirtazapine I am very scared to take this as I've read a lot about it sedating you .. I am currently off work and have been for 3 months I wanna try and go back as soon as possible but scared these tablets will prevent me from functioning .. My anxiety is really bad at mo and doesn't seem to be shifting not sure what to do weather to take them or not .. Thanks in advance 

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi it did make me really drowsy ,I slept  from 10 pm to 2pm the next day,I reduced it  by half & started to sleep more normal hours. I now take it earlier at 7pm & wake at 8ish I do feel drowsy for an hour but nothing to bad. It as been a good drug for me certainly made my mood much better I seem to be a lot less anxious but I think I didn't start to notice this until 2 weeks from starting it. I think you should give it a try & perhaps delay returning to work until you feel awake enough and hopefully better

Debbie

• Posted

ok thank u I'm just scared as this will b the third antidepressant in 3 months just feel like it's all getting too much ! I don't know what to do for the best I should of voiced how I felt when I was at the docs maybe I'll ring them again tomorrow .. Thank u 
    • Posted

They are a different type of antidepressant to citalopram and work in a different way. They may work better for you and after a couple of weeks I have been told the sedation wears off once your body gets used to it. Some people take 7.5mgs as a sleep aid and say it's the best thing ever if you haven't got to go to work I am sure you will be fine 
    • Posted

Ok thank u I have to do 2 days of citalapram at 20 before I can start them anyway so hopefully they will help once I take them 
  • Posted

Hi domdomz

Think maybe you need to persevere with your tablets,I am always impatient fir things to work so get your apprehension,but if I am anything to go by they have worked really well for me. Why not try them set yourself a timeline of maybe 2 weeks to see if there is any difference . If they don't then see the gp but what if they do & you feel a lot calmer..........honestly if they do you will be in such a better place

• Posted

Hi Debbie yes I think I will try them do they make u sleepy all the time . I have little motivation at mo don't wanna make it worse thank u for your reply 
  • Posted

Hi 

a little bit at first but not for long. Based on my experience plan the first few days on it,maybe make sure you can stay at home in bed or just chilling that way if you feel foggy or drowsy it won't affect  to much. I lay in bed until I feel ready to get up, once I am up I keep myself busy until later then maybe have a snooze. If you take it earlier in the night it will not make you to drowsy the next day. I take it at 7pm so by 9 the next day I am foggy free.

dont stress about it just try and see,maybe a good few nights sleep will help. The only other thing it does make you have very vivid dreams........really real. Try not to get to hung up on them as they are just dreams, at first mine upset me as they were always about people I love and have lost but not at the mo, more about work etc.

im sure you will be ok, let me know how you get on.

• Posted

Ok thank u just hope it helps me get back to work that is my main aim ... Ok I am not sleeping much at all so yes a good night sleep would be lovely .. Just worry as when I work I have to get up at 5.45 .. I will let u know 
    • Posted

Mirtazapine should help with that as it is extremally sedating. For the first few weeks maybe to much so. I had to take half a tablet for the first week as otherwise I would have just stayed in bed most of the following day. But everyones different. If you have taken a lot of otc meds for sleep recently your tolerance to the sedative affects of Mirt may be greater than mine as they sedate in the same way as mirt (histamine H1 blockage). 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.