citalopram?

Posted , 4 users are following.

So I recently went to the doctors about my anxiety and they gave me some beta blockers but they didn't help at all and I was about to start a new job today but all weekend I had anxiety about it and I I couldn't deal with it , the thought of having to meet a group of new people killed me so I didn't go but I iwent to the doctors and he gave me new tablets called citalopram im nervous to take them? My new boss said to go in tomorrow but i don't know if I can...

0 likes, 31 replies

31 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I would say to take your cit at night just before you go to sleep,  when I first started taking cit I had side effects, I would take it in the morning and the side effects would calm down after about 5 hours, but also remember your suppose to take cit at the same time every day or night.

Read other threads about the side effects as that will help you know if you do experience them that they are completely normal, that will help you not panic if you do experience side effects. 

Also remember if you do have side effects to try and go with it, try not to panic and except its normal.

Some of the side effects I experienced in the first few days of taking cit were, dizziness,  feeling detached,  nauseous,  dry mouth and shaking.  I know it all sounds scary but for me at least they would wear off within 5/6 hours at most and after the first day of taking cit I found this site and realised it was all normal so that helped calm my anxiety towards the side effects.  Also remember not everyone has side effects. 

The first day I ever took cit I took 20mg which my doctot prescribed,  tht was too muh for me so the next day I took 10mg which was so much better, I still had side effect but they weren't at all as full on.

Just so you know and to help you feel more confident I  taking cit, I have been on it for two weeks bow nd its helpdd me so so much, I feel happier and my anxiety is practically gone, I do still have the occasional off day but its nothing like it used to be and I've only been on them for two weeks!

Good luck and pls keep us posted on how it's all going.

Sarah x

• Posted

Thank you so much this made me feel a lot better.  Il take my my first one tonight and see what happens. 

I just hope I feel up to going to work tomorrow other wise il probably loose the job. 

X

• Posted

Your welcome Heather,  

Just try and take it when your really tired tonight,  some ppl say it can keep them awake, it doesn't keep me awake, but just incase. 

And if you can't make it into work then don't let it stress you out,  the most important thkng is your mental health and getting yourself back on track ;-)

X

• Posted

I will smile thank you again. 

And yeah that's true I I just don't want to be without money because i don't know what will happen with benefits x.

• Posted

Not sure if you live in the UK but if do you can go on Employment Support Allowance (ESA) It's a benefit,  I'm on it at the moment,  I went to my doctors and asked for a medical certificate because I was having anxiety, panic attacks ad depression and I told my doctor I needed time to concentrate on getting better, she was fine about it, so gave me a medical certificate which started I was depressed and had panic attacks,  I took it to the job centre filled out the forms and sent them off, they pay £146 every two weeks.

You should try that if this job doesn't work :-)

• Posted

When are you going for yo medical at Atoms, or you do not have to .
    • Posted

I do like in the uk. I was on job seekers seekers allowance and when I first got the beta blockers the doctor gave me a two week sick note.

So I'll have to go back and ask for another one. 

Does yours have a time limit or? X

• Posted

Why do you just apply for Employment and support allowance, then at list u will not have to keep going back to your GP, until your application is processed, usually after 6 to 10 Months.
    • Posted

Usually they'll give you medical certificate that last a month or two, I've been on ESA for 6 months at first they gave me a medical certificate for a month then u go back a day or two before it runs out and ask for another one, the next one was for month them the 3rd one was for 3 months and the most recent one I got was for two months, it just depends on the doctor you see, I started asking for one that lasted longer as I was very depressed and anxious all the time I really didnt want to keep going bck and fourth,  even though it isn't a big deal to have to leave the house once a month but for ppl with anxiety and depression it very much is a big deal. I think another month or two and I'll be ready to start the depressing search for a job lol, depressing not because I dont want to work but because I couldn't seem to find a job before I went o  ESA hat was one of a few reason I felt so depressed,  I've learnt now to not put so much pressure on myself,  so I'll probably stay on ESA while I'm looking for work that way I don't have the pressure of JSA advisers, that was stressful. 
    • Posted

No it doesnt take 6-10 months! It takes a couple of weeks and its backdated from the time you made the application.  Are you from the UK?
    • Posted

A couple of weeks but they backdate it from the time you make the application,  I think mine took about a week and a half,  getting the medical certificate is the most important thing that they want, once you get that they will pay you, I didn't know how ESA worked when I applied for it so I think it would have been a week if ihad known I needed a certificate at the time.
    • Posted

You're welcome,  glad I could help :-) 

Just see your doc as soon as you can that will get the ball rolling in regards to the medical certificate :-)

Good luck

X

• Posted

Okay thank you il go to the doctors tomorrow, is there a chance that I will get told im not entitled to esa or? Sorry for all the questions haha x
    • Posted

It depends on your doctor,  if you explain that you need time to deal and get your anxiety under control and also that your anxiety was so bad you couldn't even go into work,  well I don't see why they wouldn't mental health is an illness. At my doctors office we have 5 different doctors and you see what ever ones free, so three different doctors gave me medical certificates, but I do have a history of depression,  high anxiety,  panic attacks and a suicide attempt.  But you also have a history of beta blockers for your anxiety,  I don't think it will be a problem. 

And ask all the questions you want, I'm all over his site getting advice from some of the amazing members, it's good to be abl to do the same I  return. We're all in the same boat.

• Posted

Okay il just have to go tomorrow and hopefully ill get a nice doctor haha.

Thank you, one more thing haha can you drink alcohol with these tablets? I I don't plan to get drunk but im going to a funeral in a few days so just wondering if ill be able to have a drink. 

Thanks again for all your help. X

• Posted

Yes u can, if u read the leaflet it says alcohol has no effect on the tablets.
    • Posted

It takes 3 to 6 months but as soon as they receive your application they start giving you £73 a week till the process is over, but if u decide to go that way text me and will help u feel in the forms, on site, cheers
    • Posted

From what I've read on this site about ppl drinking while taking cit is that the alcohol affects you more as in you feel the buzz more, and please don't listen to 2Richardt as it clearly says on the leaflet that comes inside the pack of cit that "you should not drink alcohol while taking this medicine" I'm looking at it right now. But saying that if you have a look around this forum you will find threads that are about drinking on cit, I personally dont because I worry I'll be too paranoid that it will have a bad reaction so I just don't want to go there as I'll probably just have a panic attack lol, but ppl have reported that the alcohol just has a stronger affect.
    • Posted

So I I took my first one last night before bed and I fell asleep straight away but kept waking up every couple of hours feeling sick and  I still feel sick now sad x
    • Posted

Yes o had nausea for about a week, a lot of ppl seem to get that but it will pass over time, I know its not nice it reminded me of being pregnant and having morning sickness lol.

So if the nausea is keeping you awake you could start taking it in the morning,  part of the reason I take my cit in the morning is because id rather experience the side effects during the day then at night because I dont want my sleep to be disturbed,  when i dont sleep well my anxiety goes through he roof. 

But a good thing is at least thats all your experiencing so far, hopefully that'll be it for you :-) but try to remember the nausea does calm down after a few days this is just your body getting used to the cit.

X

• Posted

I took it again last night, I woke up several times but didn't feel as sick although today I feel drained of energy Iv just been lay in bed all day haha is that a side effect or? I do have a cold atm as well so x
    • Posted

Oh yes? It's a bloody annoying side effect and one unlike the others that hasn't gone away, I wake up okay with energy actually but a few hours after taking my cit at 7am I start to feel drained,  I've even had a few naps during thw day since starting cit and I never ever take naps lol, it can be very annoying as I have a 4 year old with a mega amount of energy, I really hope it does go away. When my kids are at there dads I pretty much just want to lay in bed all day but I promise sh myself to get up amd go out and the weird thing is if I'm keep active I don't feel so drained but as soon as I sit down the drain feeling comes straight back, someone else on here said they experience the exact same thing so its all normal x
    • Posted

Wow I need to read over what I write before I post, sorry for the typos I'm using my Samsung 3s and the touch screen does what it likes lol. I meant to say I push myself to get up and go out. 
    • Posted

Okay thank you its so horrible haha. 

Iv also completely lost my appetite since taking the first tablet I haven't ate an actual meal sad x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.