citalopram 10 mg

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi im just wondering whether 10 mg has been enough for any people out there? I have been taking 20 mg for 4 weeks and my anxiety has gone through the roof! Aswell as many other side effects. I am very sensitive to these type of medications so my gp has decided to lower back to 10 mg. I was just wondering whether anybody has had success ith such a small dose?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Alison,

Will be interesting to find out how you get on as I too was started on 20 and my anxiety went through the roof so was lowered to 10. Been taking Cit for just over 4 weeks, been on 10 for just over 2 weeks.

Am going to the doctors this morning to discuss the Cit and am going to ask about this so will let you know what the outcome is.

I think 10 is fine for some people, especially for anxiety.

Take care x 

• Posted

I've been taking citalopram 20mg for 4 weeks and my anxiery has also increased. I still have many side effects too such as trouble sleeping, dry mouth, shakes etc but other side effects I seemed to have in the first 2 week seem to have gone now. Due to advice from people on here about it usually taking 6-8 weeks to start working I have decided to stick it out. I have never been on anything like this before so it has been quite scary but fingers crossed it will get better. Hopefully 10mg will work better for you and help with your side effects. 

• Posted

Hi Alison. Iv been on these now for 3-4 years. I too started on 10mg and soon went back as noticed little to no difference. I increased to 20mg which set my anxiety off for a couple of weeks and then this settled. I then upped to 30mg and now 40mg. I have only been on 40mg for a week. I started them in may but my anxiety was awful. Unbenown to me at the time it was the side effects from increasing the dose. So i am trying again now as the doc told me this week that an increased dose is like startung them all over again and you will get worse before better.. But to answer your question, bearing in mind everyones different though, 10mg were useless for me...xxx
  • Posted

Hi Alison, 

I've been taking 10mg for the last 9 months, liking to reduce to 5mg now and start to come off, I've had really good results with that dose not never went up as I responded with it. I started taking it for anxiety, panic and post traumatic stress with the birth of my prem daughter. 

They say thereputic dose is 20mg for depression but I wasn't depressed just had overwhelming anxiety that I couldn't control 

Hope that helps xx

• Posted

Hi Alison, I started on 20mg and went down to 10mg because of side effects. I am able to cope as it takes the edge off my anxiety. I would rather cope on less than more as i don't really won't to be on meds.

Elizabeth.

• Posted

Hi Alison,

been on 10mg for just over three weeks, initially had all the horrible side effects and like you anxiety through the roof but this has largely settled over past week and thought I was over the worst . However, last night out of the blue had waves of anxiety come over me and that has set me worrying that maybe either not quite getting full effect of pills or need more which I was hoping not to need. It's early days so will need to see how things go from here on but just thought I'd share my experience so far with you.

Good luck , will keep you posted .

Val

• Posted

I've taken Citralopram for 15 years and started on 20mg.  I eventually reduced it to 10mg then 5mg because of some side effects, and retained a good 'well being' feeling all the time.  During the winter I'd increase it to 10mg for a few months as I always find my spirits are lower then.

So yes, it was successful for me.

K x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.