Citalopram 10 then 20 now 30mgs

Posted , 6 users are following.

So i've been on citalopram for nearly 7 weeks now. Within that time i got moved up after 2 weeks from 10 to 20mg and then after about 4 weeks i've now had 5 days on 30mg.

I'm staying away in a hotel as i type this and haven't felt great today to be honest. I took my dose at 9pm as usual and felt from 11pm onwards getting warmer and subsequently sweating more than usual. I then just 'woke' up, after dozing, really sweating, my pulse raised significantly and feeling that something was very 'wrong'.

I must say (contrary to general opinion) coming onto Patient i find has helped. As reading other peoples experiences is somewhat comforting and i now, after typing this, feel calmer.

Has anyone else experienced the heavy night sweats aswell? I'm also having these times of pressure in the head that makes me feel depressed and my thoughts go very weird (time passing, no one remembers anything anymore etc...u know really happy stuff) the thoughts attach themselves to a really horrible feeling.

I feel like i'm turning into someone else or something is still very wrong. It's very weird. Any thoughts or suggestions?

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Theae are all normal feelings. Give the medication time to adjust and once it does you'll feel better. Don't get me wrong you'll still have bad days but you'll be able to process what you're thinking more clearly.

• Posted

Thanks Tim,

I'm generally feeling like i'm getting there. This sweating episode just caught me offguard i guess. It's so hard to know what's real and not.

• Posted

This is totally normal. Like me, you have increased your dosage quite quickly. Most people say 4- 6weeks at each dose. Just to give the side effects time to settle.

Each dose increase will probably come with side effects.

I had terrible sweats, increased anxiety, lack of appetite. You name it, I had it.

I'm now 5weeks on 40mg and the side effects are settling but they were very distressing.

Be patient, be kind to yourself and try to accept the side effects as just side effects.

Advice and support is here when you need it.

Take care.

• Posted

Thank you Zoe. That was a great post and very helpful.

I've been okay today...but yeah intrusive thoughts and feeling down this evening has me quite fed up.

Hopefully a good sleep and new day brings a better one tomorrow.

• Posted

HI

This is all side effects I was the same had them intrusive thoughts and waves of fear but they will soon settle and I'm really good now after 4 mo this I feel normal again

• Posted

Hi Debbie. Once you increased to 15mg how long did u find it took to even out and feel back to yourself? I still find I'm very up and down and my mood can be pretty low most days. Iv been on 20mg for 11 weeks now. I have had some good days but then after a few days I go back to feeling rubbish then I can pick up again and then once again feel rubbish xx

• Posted

Hi Claire

I would say 3 months to get back to normal for me but I used to go up and down u til it got good so I'm sure you just need to give it a little more time x

• Posted

Thanks Debbie. Yeah i've had the intrusive thought thing. So annoying and exhausting dealing with it. Even with learned techniques.

Any tips?

• Posted

Hi

I got so sick of the intrusive thoughts and what worked for me was when they came instead of being scared I let them in and let them pass like a cloud don't fight them and after doing that a few times they went and if they come now and again I don't kind I just let them pass there just feelings. Hope this helps

• Posted

well 10 weeks in now. I haven't had any panic anxiety attacks and have been calmer in general ..but after a good spell i seem to have the reoccuring things from before coming back. Waking up at 5am with mad thoughts going on. A feeling this afternoon and this evening that i have something that's eating away at me.

Weirdly throughout this i feel at my worst until i eat a meal. Then 20minutes after my levels seem normal. For about 3 hours. Then now i feel it coming on again.

I'm really quite bored of this now. My mood is calm but there seems to be something i haven't put my finger on yet.

My breathing and chest feels a bit weezy and my head feels like its a bit burnt out. I'm awake and altho i will read and try not to overthink it, i have a feeling the night will be tricky.

I don't know if life is changing my path for me or if i have an actual health problem. I really don't know.

• Posted

Hi

Yes you can have blips and it's normal to worry if it is a health problem. Im having quite a few tension headaches and do t want to look on google as I have done that and thought I had a brain tumour!!! It's because we are already a bit anxious so we overthink and if your still a bit worried go and see your doctor to put your mind at rest. Funny you saying you weren't quite right but could t put your finger on it, I've had that for a few weeks now but it's easi gone I'm not as anxious, I think it's our anxiety though!! On the positive side I'm doing good instill on 15mg which is a low dose

• Posted

I saw the doctor today. Was a locum one as mine is away til next week.

She listened and was good (as in not dismissive) she suggested switching to Sertraline. She said she prefered it. I didn't know if she meant SHE prefered it or from her experience as a doctor.

But yeah she said it has a less detached side effect. I'm feeling the old anxiety from before creeping in and with it a detached feel.

I've only taken 20mg tonight and will try to come of and switch as instructed.

I wonder if u or anyone has any thoughts about how long u should stick with a type of medication. It's been about 3 months now and although i'm better in some ways ..The detached and bad feelings i've had at night have been awful again.

Has felt like i'm dying with something eating away at me and my time is coming to an end.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.