Citalopram 10mg

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello I was suffering panic disorder few months ago and doctor had given me citalopram 20mg at first they made me really bad suffering more panic attacks then ever having one every night so she decided to give me sertraline they made me badly I'll cudnt cope with them due to having 5 children to see to..and they are a handful as well so doctor then prescribed me citalopram 10mg well this is the 5th day of taking it and I just can't deal with them anymore..I have bin getting really bad sickness to wear I can't eat or drink... The worse effect I'm getting is the dizziness even tho I'm sat down or standing up my head feels so dazed I feel like I'm gonna faint my body goes all weird when it happens..also headache chest pain and another worse effect is not sleeping due to dizziness body feels tremory..shaking always getting chills stomachache sickly feeling I'm sat up in my bed every night crying because I am so so tired but every time I close my eyes my body feels weird and feels like it's gonna shut down its really doing my head in I have baby's to get up for and I'm just so so tired anyone got any advice please thank you

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

kirstie I feel that you should not take these drugs due to their nasty side effects.

Have you looked at Mindfullness techniques, Relaxation and breathing techniques.

You can come through this with support. In my opinion medication is not the answer for you.

• Posted

I agree, SSRIs can be bad news and it sounds like you're reacting to them, please work with your doctor to taper off all of them - don't ever try to stop these drugs cold-turkey.  There is some emerging medical concepts regarding the Autonomic Nervous System, most doctors aren't aware of them - the ANS controls involuntary body functions such as digestive, cardiovascular, respiratory, metabolic, endocrine, and immune systems.  Problems in any of these systems can kick the ANS into "fight-or-flight mode", and since the conscious brain can't figure out why, the end result is anxiety and panic attacks.  While conscious concerns (like worrying about not doing a good enough job) can also kick the ANS into "fight or flight mode" and cause anxiety and counseling would help that, physical things like food allergies (a biggie) and celiac disease, or infections, or diabetes or other really subtle otherwise minor physical things (even temperature changes or short winter days) can disturb the ANS.  Keeping a food or environmental diary might help pinpoint potential panic triggers.

• Posted

Jane I was very interested in your comment regarding food alllergies and that this is a biggie. Please could you expand on this. Many thanks.
    • Posted

My daughter tested positive for Celiac - an endoscope showed moderate villous atrophy, even after 2 weeks gluten free, her gluten antibody count was huge, and she's positive with the HLA DQ 2.5 gene.  The villous atrophy causes problems with absorbing nutrients (malabsorption), and if the body is not getting enough vitamins and minerals then subtle problems can start happening throughout the body.  The immune system in the gut reacts to the gluten protein (and/or other food triggers) and sends histamines throughout the body (not just the nose), causing inflammation in unpredictable places (another emerging medical topic - Mast Cell Activation Syndrome and Histamine Intolerance).  Most doctors don't know what to make of inflammation without antibody autoimmune markers, but if antihistamines like ranitidine (Zantac) or even diphenhydramine (Benedryl) settle symptoms (even anxiety) down, then mast cell hyperactivity and histamines may be to blame.  I haven't been tested for the Celiac gene yet, but several months on a gluten & wheat free diet and my brain and sinuses seem clearer.  For decades now farmers have been breeding our grains to maximize yield, disease resistance and pest resistance, but no effort to retain nutritous and healthy content.  I sometimes wonder if wheat is now no better than sawdust.

• Posted

You have not been on this drug for very long, although I understand side effects are concerning you. You have also suffered problems with previous medications that were similar to problems you are having with Citalopram.

You are suffering Anxiety so your condition will be masking or amplifying the side effects. The taking of the drug takes a longer time period too work. Because of your concerns make an appointment with your GP. There are alternative types of medications that may help

Good Luck

BOB

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.