Citalopram 13 years/ sertraline 3 weeks/ have to switch back to citalopram

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi there,

Have been on citalopram for 13years. Felt numb so have done a straight swop with seetraline 3 weeks ago. It was ago for the first 2 weeks but last week especially last 2 days has been out of control. Called doc before who told ME to switch back onto citalopram again. Nothing tonight he said and start tom with 10mg for 5 days then 20mg. I can't begin to tell you how badly petrified I feel right now. Non stop anxiety non stop to the highest level I've ever had. Just can't calm down. Scared to feel this way for another 2 weeks!!! I'm shaking, dizzy, feel like jelly, mind racing, so scared that I just want to vomit! Please tell me what to do as right now nothing is helping I really feel like I'm going insane! Anyone had this on swapping medication? I'm scared people are gonna think I'm going mad sad( what if I end up in a mental hospital?! I feel like I'm just losing it.

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Hi Babette

i was on citalopram for a long time.  I switched over to sertraline.  Been on it for about a month and half.  Have not felt any relief from it nor did I have the awful side effects that I have experienced on sertraline.  I am going to give sertraline one more week if no better I think I will switch back to citalopram.

lynda

• Posted

Babette, I am feeling identical to you! I have been having meds chopped and changed for last few months. I was admitted to a psch ward but they would not force you to go and don't keep you in for anxiety I was told to leave after a couple of days so don't fear that.
    • Posted

Hi Cleora

still tough for me.  What dosage are you on and for how long?

lynda

• Posted

Nothing except benzodiazepines at the moment though taking far too many off to see psychiatrist shortly

cleora

• Posted

I went to pick up my tablets and bursted into tears. They said that in the mean time I could take some diazepam to take the edge of it. They also said that citalopram should kick in faster as I've been in them for such a long time. The thought of taking a diazepam scares me but I'm equally as scared when I get those terrifiying waves of anxiety in my stomach, head.... What do you think? I can't believe I won't take anything tonight. I'll start with the citalopram straight through Tom morning. 3 weeks ago I was on 25mg and Tom I've been told to start at 10mg. I genuinely wouldn't wish my worse enemy to have an anxiety disorder!
    • Posted

Babette

that is good news.  You will be going back on a med you know has worked for you and probably won't have troublesome side effects.  Plus you have diazepam to help as well.

lynda

• Posted

Hi Babette

You sound in a right pickle!  I was on citalopran 5 yrs ago when my husband died and never having anxiety and depression before I was in a similar state to you.  It felt like eternity and no-one to help.  I feel for you.  Have you had counselling, CBT etc.  I have a friend who has been on anti deps for years and now is off them as she was having trembles.  Ther is light at the end of the tunnel.  Keep posting Babette.  Love

• Posted

Thank you so much Lynda, Cleotra and Joyce for your supportive words. I'm scared to take diazepam though but I think I might take one before I go to bed. I've managed to go for a swim! And I'm really really trying to not think of it!!!
  • Posted

Hi, I was on citalopram I was on it for years, had to change to Sertraline because, other med wasn't working anymore for me. I would see a different doctor. Hope this has help
    • Posted

Stephaney

how long have you been on sertraline?  Just asking . Trying to decide whether to switch back to citalopram.  I was on 25mg 2 weeks 50 2 weeks and the upped to 75 a week ago.  Can't say I gotten any big relief.  Anxiety has abated some and not as depressed.  I guess it is working to a certain degree but truly not myself.

lynda

• Posted

When I read other people's stories I feel bad as I think I should persevere with sertraline but I've been in hell this last week and although I am strong I just can not have another week like this. I feel as low as can be, so petrified that I can't move its just horrid. It's putting so much pressure on my relationship... I feel that if I carry on feeling this bad he will leave me as he can not deal with this.
    • Posted

Babette

you mustn't apologize.  Just do what is best for you.

lynda

• Posted

Babbette, try not to punish yourself. My partner has been through hell last few months to. Police and ambulances, hospital admissions. My family friends and him have all abandoned me. Sertraline was really tough for me I had to stop it

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.