Citalopram 2.5mg

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi. I'm on day 7 of taking citalopram. I am super sensitive to ssri's and get all the side effects listed. Tried my 10mg tabs a few months ago but it was absolute torture and had to give up after 2 days!!

This time I've been chopping them into quarters and I still feel spaced out and not all there but it's bearable at least. Going to move up to 5mg in a couple days. This seems to be the only way I can do it. Has anyone had similar experience? Also, has anyone else felt totally unreal when they are outside ,like the world is fuzzy and unreal and did this go away?

Sorry if my questions sound daft! I just want this to work for me? I was on cit for 6 years and it totally gave me my life and independence back before I stupidly decided to stop them and all the horrendous anxiety came back. I don't want to live half a life anymore.

Julie.

1 like, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Try and stick with it. It took me about 2 weeks. But it saved my life!
    • Posted

Hi, thanks for replying. Do you mean that it took about 2 weeks for the side effects to leave or until you started feeling less 

• Posted

Anxious!  Daft computer.lol. I really want the old me back. X
    • Posted

Bit of both really. But sticking with it ,enabled me to get back to work and start to find the old me. 
  • Posted

Hi Julie

I'm new to this forum and am suffering from depression and anxiety. I am in week 6 of taking Cit and it has also been a real life saver for me too. Like Carol says below, stick with it as it takes time to work. It took me 3 weeks to start noticing any real differences.

Like you I just wanted my life back.

Regards 

Marcel.

• Posted

Thankyou. It's good to hear something positive,especially when I've had to start on such a low dose but when I was on it in the past I never needed to go higher than 10mg. I guess I have a strong reaction to all meds as that will be my maximum again.  Just wish the time would pass. Feels never ending! I just seem to look out at my car which I can't drive or see all these people living normal functioning lives and I'm dying to be there again. X
  • Posted

Hi Julie,

I know exactly how you feel,  I've read through so many posts and am happy that we are not alone. It is real encouraging to hear all the positive feed back especially the support people give each other. I too started on 10mg for the first 3 weeks and the remainder on 20 mg. 

10mg wasn't quite enough so increased the dosage. I guess everybody reacts differently to different strengths

I too often sit around in a daze thinking when is this all going to end. Minutes seem like hours and hours seem like days!

i just want to feel normal again smile

• Posted

I know this was ten months ago, but how long did you stay on 2.5 mg? What side effects did you experience on 2.5 mg?
    • Posted

I am interested too. I am also one who is sensitive to ssri. I have had to start on 5 mg. So far on day 4
    • Posted

Hi Alison how you doing in day 5 with 5 mg?..

Does this drug come in 5 mg pill for prescription? Or your cutting a 10 mg? Wishing it came  in 5 mg if I make up my mind it start them like it stay on 5 mg was on 5 mg of chipralex few years back was stronger for me but I waited for the full 6 weeks it get the full therapeutic effect and it did worked great Dr were amazed how so low did me so good but cutting pills for 3-4 years don't excite me I read  this drug and chipralex are a lot like side effects be the same will thye were bad for long time on chipralex for me then eased up but 4-6 weeks any help be great full 

• Posted

On 5 mg chipralex I was tried all the time foggy head when I cut back to 2.5 my head was instantly clear and not so tried 
    • Posted

I tried citalopram before Xmas but had horrendous side effects and it made my anxiety a lot worse so came off them which was horrendous too. However I have decided to try and give them another go but start off on a low dose and perhaps only go up to 10 mg. I too seem to do well on low doses.

I have a bit of heightened anxiety and im also itching. Which is setting my anxiety off but it does saying itching under common side effects..... Just hope it all goes away!

• Posted

So your still on 5 mg? Is it manageable? I need to go to work take care kids look some what normal do thye make you tired? Do you take them at night or ams?
    • Posted

I take it in the morning. I have my kids to look after too. My anxiety is really quite bad anyway so im really hoping it helps me. I still have to get up to 10 mg atleast really
  • Posted

Hi there.

I have just started taking citalipram for high anxiety. Took 5mg at night but it left me so wired & buzzy I couldn't sleep. Dr told me to cut down to 2.5mg and take in the day time. I'm hoping I'll get less of the wired feeling.

I'm v petite & have lost weight. I'm hoping I will end up being on 5mg and I'll get my life back.

Dr said some people get immediate effect. I feel anxious all the time, esp at night.

How long before I see a positive improvement? I'm taking baby steps. I too have kids but lots of support.

Michelle

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.