citalopram 20mg

Posted , 5 users are following.

i have started taking citalopram 20mg 14 days ago got a stinking headache which wont go and have lost my sex drive has anyone else have this happen to me 

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

It's usually after 14 days that you start getting side effects if you are going to have them.  If I were you I'd contact the surgery and see if you can see or talk to the doctor.  The fact that you have a headache which won't go away is worry in itself but loss of sex drive can be very upsetting. The doctor is your best bet.
  • Posted

These are typical side effects of this medication - SSRI's are notorious for decreasing ones sex drive unfortunately.  Sometimes a small price to pay whilst recovering.  It'll return when you're able to come off the medication.

• Posted

Hang in there, side effects will subside after a while. Try not to drink any alcohol in the early days.

Low libido however will persist until you come off them. I've been on Citalopram since May last year, and been tapering since December. I'm currently on 5 mg and my drive is slowly coming back.

• Posted

Funkdakarma says don't drink alcohol in the early days.........don't drink alcohol at all!! Citalopram like a lot of other drugs shouldn't be mixed with alcohol for the simple reason either the alcohol stops the drug from working or is responsible for the drug producing side effects. They just don't match.
    • Posted

Yes I should have clarified that. I think it can be taken in moderation though (i.e. 1-2 units on the weekends), but it really depends on your constitution, tolerance and reaction to the drug. I said early days because in the beginning I would get throbbing headaches post-drinking (even if it was only a couple of units), which got better with time
    • Posted

I've taken these for 15 years and I still drink alcohol. I'm sure not going to go tee-total all that time lol.

Yes it does say not to drink alcohol on the info sheet, but then so do a lot of other meds.  If long term like me, it's a long time to go without.

During the early days, yes definitely be careful, but when all settles down it doesn't harm to try some out to see how you react.  Doesn't bother me at all and it doesn't stop the meds working either.

The warning is just there like it is for all medications.  It says don't operate machinery or drive too, but again if long term you can hardly avoid them :-)

They just have to cover all aspects of safety.

• Posted

Hi jason, I got them bad, going for a 20 min walk seemed to help, week 2 to 4 and they will start to ease, doc told me 2 paracetamol 4 times a day, to build up a resistance to the headaches.
  • Posted

Welcome to the club Jason!

Side effects low libido, but gotta give up something to get better! Goes to prove our brains are closely linked to our p-ants!

You've had the best advice from the best people so far so, stick with it mate!

Regards,

David

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.