citalopram 20mg cant take them

Posted , 6 users are following.

so i went to the doctor after 4 years i wrote all my thoughts an feelings down an he straight away said cbt therpy an citalopram and diazepan for car jorneys. the problem is i cant take the citalopram i took 1 monday morning last week 3 hours later i was off my face felt sooo drunk could hardly talk headache feeling very sick, anxiety was off the scale. it put me in bed for 3 days after that 1 pill. i thought i may have had a bug so i was thinking of starting to take them again but i cant be that ill again i have 3 children to look after. i might just leave it an ring cbt and do that instead. anyone else had a reaction like that on meds

0 likes, 7 replies

Report / Delete

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi alex50702, I am also taking 20mg of citalopram. I didn't start on this amount straight away. I asked my doctor for 10mg tablets and cut them in half. I took 5mg a day for about 9 days. I then took 10mg for 14 days before moving on to 15mg (1 & half 10mg tablets) for 14days and then onto the full 20mg. I found it was a lot easier for me this way. I had minimal tiredness and no other side effects. It might benefit you better this way. I would also tell the GP this is what you want to do if you decide this might help. X

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

You should have been started on 5mg or maximum 10mg and gradually brought up to 20mg. What you felt was adjustment disturbances and it is common. It would ease after a couple of weeks tops but no need to suffer. Ask your GP for a slower adjustment and if refused, ask for another doctor. Better to be treated by psychiatrist though if possible. All the best.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Try and think of your children and make their days as happy as possible, if you concentrate on them it will help emmensely, because you will forget about yourself and your worries.   Meds really just mask the situation.  Talk to yourself every day and say over and over again - I am strong, I am beating this, I can do it.  Its called the Power of Positive Thinking, Athletes do it if they want to win a race.  Keep imagining yourself happy and contented over and over - it will work trust me.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi alex

strangely enough this was exactly what happened to a friend of mine. Unlike me, she suffers from anxiety & not so much depression (I have both 50/50)

she hadn't slept for about 4 days and was experiencing severe anxiety. Good old doc gave her citilopram and she took one pill & nearly hit the roof!! 

She binned those and started mirtazapine. These are great for her as they ease the anxiety and knock her out at night so she can sleep.

so yes, I have heard of these meds making anxiety worse. Which is the last thing you need x

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Sorry, just to agree with other posters. I think that 20mg is the top dose for this drug, normally there would be a gradual introduction to give your body a chance to metabolise it. But I'm no doctor, they may have had their reasons x

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

You need to take your medication as prescribed, it can take a time to work upwards for four/five weeks. One tablet will not help your condition you need to take the drug take as prescribed.

B.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

A phased introduction generally will be introduced, say 10mg then 4 weeks later another 10mg This helps introduce the drug in a slower manner.

If you are unhappy talk to your GP

Good Luck

B.

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up