Citalopram 20mg for 8 weeks.

Posted , 4 users are following.

Anyone out there to give me hope?Can it take all this time to start working?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

It takes 2 to 8 weeks, but if it is still not helping either your Dr has to up your dosage or try something else. I don't take I take Buspar but I know how you feel that hopeless feeling so I looked it up for you.

• Posted

Thanks Amy i also have been given propalanol but that seems to make me very tired ans spaced out with blurred vision.Just want to feel better!
  • Posted

Yes, Citalopram is a slow acting medication,and it can also increase anxiety in the beginning as your body adjusts to the medication. My doctor prescribed it for anxiety and depression and although the anxiety lessened before the depression it did take a while for it to start to work. Also whenever a dosage increase was necessary I had to go through the side effects including increased anxiety all over again until my body got used to the new dosage. While I was waiting for it to kick in I used Propranolol to help ease the anxiety but the effects only lasted about 6 hours or so at a time so had to take it 2 or 3 times a day sometimes.
    • Posted

I also have propalanol but that seemed to make me have blurred vision and felt spaced out.Dont know if its that or just complete anxiety!Going to try without propalanol today to see how i feel and if it makes anty diffetence.How ling have you been on citalopram I just keep thinking its never going to work and i cant stand the thought of starting all over again.Its a living nigjtmare!!
    • Posted

I have been on Citalopram since January so about 5 months. I don't recall just how long it took to help with the anxiety but I do know that it was at about the 3 to 3 1/2 month mark when the depression started to lift to where I began to feel like myself again. It wasn't nearly that long for the anxiety though.

• Posted

20mg Citalopram is only a mild antidepressant, I think 8 weeks is long enough to wait for it to start working.

I think you should ask your doctor about trying something else.

I am on 20mg of Fluoxetine which works well for me, but it can have an effect on other medications.

Lots of people find Sertraline helpful, especially if the have depression as well.

People can't really tell you what to take on here, as we are not your doctor.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.