Citalopram 20mg not working after 1 year

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hey everyone, I apologize in advance for the lengthy post. I just don’t know where else to turn.

I posted a couple years ago at the peak of my anxiety struggles and climbed out of the hole I was in on 20mg of citalopram. Things were going great for over a year.

I fell back into anxiety after an unknown and accidental switch in manufacturers (from Aurobindo to Dr Reddy.), which I read could cause adverse effects to some, I didn’t realize I even changed manufacturers until I was a wreck again. which prompted me to check the label. This was accompanied by the usual heightened anxiety, lack of quality sleep, appetite plummeting, etc.

I figured I needed to give the new manufacturer a chance. After giving 20mg Dr Reddy a try for 9 weeks with little improvement, i made the switch back to 20mg of my original manufacturer (the same dosage that worked for me a whole year anxiety free). It’s been about 10 weeks on this medication and unfortunately I’m still struggling and don’t know if I should try to increase my dosage to 30mg. Or maybe 25mg? I’ve been given the option to do so if I’m comfortable with it, but part of me is afraid of dipping back down into the world of side effects. But I’m also not contempt with where I’m at losing weight and feeling on edge. The only thing keeping me sane is reading, meditating, and the occasional gym session, but I just don’t find excitement to be a thing in my life currently sad

I hope you guys can provide a bit of insight for me as I don’t know where else to turn.

Thank you everyone for your time and help smile

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Oh so sorry your going thru this. I had no idea about different manufacturers. In any case is there anything else going on with you emotionally? I find that if I am having a bad time I take lorazapam as a "reset" to get back on track. 

• Posted

Hey Cara! Thank you for the reply.

I’m actually a student in the middle of applications into graduate school. I also felt the need to cut off my healthy relationship to focus more on myself and not being her down with me. It caused me a lot of guilt having here there attending to me when she has her own life to deal with. And losing weight always lowers my self esteem which is also currently a problem. That about sums up my emotional situation! 

I just don’t know what the bet next step would be for me. Increase dose, stick it out, or perhaps taper down and see how I feel. Not sure rolleyes

• Posted

Hi. I saw a noticeable improvement going from 20 to 30. A couple of days of nausea and headaches but by day 5 I felt so much better. Give it a go!!
    • Posted

Thanks for sharing part of your experience Joanne smile unfortunately I had my first major panic attack in years last night and a mini one this morning. Some change has to be made and I hope I make the right choice.

Another option is to switch to Prozac as my doctor suggested

• Posted

Keep us posted and good luck. Let's hope you feel better soon

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.