Citalopram 20mg still feeling anxious

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all! I'm on 20mg of citalpram and have been for about 5-6 weeks! 8 weeks in total I've recently started to feel anxious again I've got a christening to go to tommorow and I'm rather nervous about it all! Is it normal to still feel like this after this amount of time

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Yes at times. CIT is very helpful in taking away the lows of your emotional state, but it isn't a magic cure-all. You will still get concerned about the situations that come up in your life. If you didn't you'd be a zombie. Just learn to appreciate what it does overall and deal with the usual day to day concerns as they come.. Best wishes. MY wife and I had an argument last night and she said that she thought that CIT would stop arguments. NO but it did take the drama out of it. 
    • Posted

Very true no I don't want to be a zombie, yes I agree there it does take the drama out of a lot of things thinking about it. ️Thankyou
    • Posted

Sometimes i am afraid that too many people expect too much of CIT. like those late night TV ads for losing weight like magic. Total BS. CIT saved my life but i still can get angry, concerned etc. I am glad you can look at the overall picture. Best wishes
    • Posted

I was kinda hoping it would be a wonder drug as I still feel anxious a lot of the time but I still have a lot going on at the moment. Sometimes I just need a bit of reassurance that I'm actually ok and its normal ( whatever that is) but you know what I mean. Thanks
    • Posted

You are thinking so you will be fine. Its OKAY to get upset at times. Its called living
  • Posted

Hi Polly. As I've been told on this forum, yes it is normal. The ups and downs we have. They say a good 6 to 8 weeks top give it and maybe too, you will have to up it, by doctors say so of course. I was on 5 than 10, I was tried also and anxious, I couldn't go any where without anxiety kicks in. Good luck, they say try to hang in there and you'll be glad you did. Feel better soon, you've come to the right place to chat, ask any questions and someone will hear you. Your friend, Cindy
    • Posted

️Thankyou yes I'm tired a lot o hope this passes soon aswell x
  • Posted

This is normal whilst on these meds.  Expect the occasional anxious time, it won't last long and will disappear again.  Whilst you're recovering your mood will be up and down, but it will eventually stabalize out.  You may even get a 'down' after 6 months etc, but that's fine ...... it'll pass.

No, Citalopram isn't a cure all, but it does cure depression and anxiety in many people (not everyone) and let's you get back the person you once were.  When someone has suffered badly for many years, Citalopram is their savious ..... as it was for me - so for many, yes it it a wonder drug.

5-6 weeks is still early days for you.  The anxiety you're feeling at the mo - just let it be there, know that this is part of recovery, it'll go in time.  It was 3-4 months before I started feeling well and felt great by 6 months.  I've now been well for about 15 years ....... and that was after 15 years of deep depression and anxiety.

For me ..... yup, truly a wonder drug.

K x

• Posted

Similar story for me Kate. Good advice
  • Posted

Hi Polly

its still early days for you and yes just accept the anxiety and think I refuse to let IT control me! Don' t let it take over I know it's easier said than done but try and go with it rather than fight it. Eventually you won't have any anxiety fears but you will naturally feel emotions I still do but can manage it better and best of all manage my reactions to the anxiety. I am still taking 20mg and thankfully living a great life again. You will too promise!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.