citalopram

Posted , 4 users are following.

My 18 year old son has just started Citalopram today. He's had counselling for quite a few weeks now and saw a Psychiatrist on Monday and she's prescribed Citalopram. I'm a bit annoyed because to me it seems like a quick fix which is cheap - I'm wondering if he would be better off having CBT or something. He's been told by one of the GPs to discuss this with the counsellor next week. I'm looking at the side effects on this site but at the same time there seems to be some positives to this drug.

It's a weird situation for me, because he's a nice, quiet, young 18 year old (mentally and physically) living at home, keeps himself to himself a lot, but I'm not allowed now he's over 16 to know anything about his appointments, treatment etc. He's got a little band of friends he's known for years and they've been trying to get him out to do some exercise, cycling, swimming, running because that's one of the things the counsellor has suggested. He's doing A levels and when he's done his paper round in the morning, he's back to bed with his laptop when he's not at school. He was adamant that he didnt' want a job, and now with the economic situation this is even more difficult, eg some of the supermarkets are laying people off.But I wonder if he needs more structure to his day. I guess I'll have to wait till he's done all his exams in May/June and then see how things are. I don't want to pressurise him before then, but sometimes I think he needs a kick up the bum.

I would appreciate the thoughts of others who may be feeling in part like

him. He's never been an easy person for us to talk to, I asked him today what he's hoping the drug will do for him. He said he didn't know but that he feels anxious all the time, what about I'm not sure.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Katy

Your son is so very lucky to have a mother like you.

If he has only started the drugs today keep an eye on him as the side effects for the 1st week can make you feel a little worse mentally and physically.

CBT is very good to help you deal with sistuations that usally send you into a panic i have started theropy a few weeks ago now and it helps in away that the pills cant.

Ihave been on cit for 4 months now and i am nowhere near better but i am geting there its a slow process.

Cit doesnt really kick in for 4 - 6 weeks so its no quick fix.

I wish my parents where more understanding of my depression they are of the pull your self together generation so it was refeshing to see you post and looking for understanding is comendable again i think your son is lucky to have you.

Time really is the key to recovery just being there for son i would think is a great help

I hope every thing works out for your boy.

Kind regards,

Marie

• Posted

Hi Katy

I agree with Marie your son is very lucky to have a mum who cares.

As for a kick up the bum if he really is genuinly depressed and anxious a kick up the bum won't work and could be counter productive. As he has managed to get to see a psychiatrist and got councelling which I am finding vertually impossible to get I would say he needs help.

The tablets can help but I personally believe you need both if you are bad. The tablets let you think clearer and help you to concentrate so that you can think straight.They also keep you on a medium plain. But it is also about trying to learn to think differently which can be really hard to re-do.

I think its basiclly society as a whole need to change how they think about mental health problems its no different from having any other illness and can take a long time to get better.

Exercise is brilliant I find it helps a lot I walk to work but you can't force him to do it. it sounds like he got a good bunch of friends. I know its hard to watch someone you love go through this but you need to be there for him and be supportive and hopefully he will get better fairly quickly.

All the best.

Lizzy

• Posted

Hi Lizzy and Marie

(I'm new to all this on-line stuff), but it's so great to see that someone has read my bit and thank you for saying I'm doing OK - I'm just so glad that my son has been lucky enough to get all this counselling. I was really worried because the suicide rate amongst young guys is quite high. I got to the point when I worried about what I'd find when I opened his bedroom door, would I find him dead in bed or something.

He's due to see the Psychiatrist in a couple of weeks or so, around when he's been on Citalopram for 6 weeks. Apparently she is doing a bit of CBT and she's suggested he mentions it to the Psychiatrist as well. I don't get much info from him if I ask what happens in counselling but whatever they're doing with him, he's responding to us a bit more now than he was although if we pry too much he just says \"can't remember\". The effect was pretty immediate and I wondered if there was a placebo effect because you guys are all saying it takes a few weeks to take effect, but hey what's wrong with that, if something is working do we have to know how or why. Take care and bye for now....

• Posted

Hi Katy

I'm so pleased to hear there has been some improvement.

Its an awful illness to deal with but with all this help hes on the right track.

I would'nt worry about not talking to you about it much at least he's talking to his counseller and remember hes still a young man and how many young men do you know that tells his parents anything. Aren't we there just to be used like a hotel?

Our children can really make us worry so much, its so hard to step back and not worry. I'm 44 have 4 kids and I do nothing but worry about them. I thought it would get easier as they got older, but I now think this is the hardest stage when they are teenagers.

Take care.

Lizzy

• Posted

hi all

I agree with Lizzy I am 42 and have two teenagers trying to get their feelings out now and again can be like getting blood out of a stone. I think the important thing is that they know you are there for them when they need you

Stay positive

Andy K

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.