CITALOPRAM

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi im new here 

CITALOPRAM...

So finally after 3 years of my anxiety and panic progressing, today i went to my GP and told him the help im getting isn't helping in the long run. I am fed up of it controlling my life. I have made the decision to try medication. Iv always been against and scared of trying medication but i feel this is my last hope. I am starting on 10mg of Citalopram. Is anyone taking this type of medication? I feel so scared to try it but i know i need to. How did you feel when you first started taking it?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

My husband took this and it really helped him. I take a other similar medication. I wouldn't be afraid I'm sure it will probably help with amxiety and depression. The doctor may want to raise the dosage ( for some reason they all do even if the dose you are on is working) if I was you I'd stay at the very lowest dosage, that is if it works for you. Why raise it right away. You may find if you need to stay on it longer than a year, you might need to raise it. For some people this medication works wonders . I mean they finally feel as if they have a life back!

do keep in mind as with all anti depressants they are physically addictive and you MIGHT have a rough time getting off of it. That being said, if you have a full year of anxiety free moments then taking a month or two to get off of it might not be a big price to pay.

i think the people who comment on the withdrawal symptoms ( like myself) do so because they were never told it would be a problem to discontinue this medication. But if you know up front I think it makes it easier.

i hope you post again and good luck with this medication,

• Posted

Hi Skye, I am taking 10mg of Citalopram and i am fine on it thou i do have some nights where i have difficulty sleeping. I started on 20mg but found the side effects were too much. My panic attacks stoped and my depression is manageable. My anxiety has improved. I would give it a go as 10mg is a low dose.
    • Posted

Hi. Thank you for your reply. I started this morning. Glad to hear it's working  for you x
  • Posted

I was scared of taking it, but took 10mg for a few months when I was depressed. I'm not sure if it will help, but I had no adverse side effects from it so it can't hurt to try. Have you tried any CBT? They recommend that over medication, and it did actually cure my anxiety for awhile (which returned but only because I had a bad time in my life)
    • Posted

Hi. Yes I have but it's not working  in the long run  for me x
    • Posted

That's such a shame. To me then it seems that whatever is causing your anxiety is still in your life. Could that be a possibility? x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.