citalopram.. 3 days and feel dreadful

Posted , 3 users are following.

I've taken 3 x20mg citolapram and feel terrible. Constant anxiety,shaking,feeling sick and unable to function. I'm far worse than I was before I took them.. is this normal?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Yes it is normal. It took 5 days for me to get over the nausea and tingling sensations. The anxiety gets worse at first then over the weeks it will ease. I found that by week 4 I was beginning to become me again. If you read other blogs you will see that it takes 4 to 12 weeks for the drug to reach an effective level in the body depending on the person.

I started on 20mg.

• Posted

Completely normal. Takes time for your body to adjust to this medication. Back when I was taking Citalopram I took 10mg at night for a week to get used to it before upping to 20mg.

You have to give yourself time for your body to get used to this stuff. Maybe try taking the pill at night or speak to your doctor and let him know you want to reduce to 10mg while your body adjusts. It really takes three or four weeks before you may feel any positive effects.

If ultimately the side effects are intolerable there are other AD's that you can try but hopefully it will work for you.

Best Regards.

• Posted

Hey there,

Yes expect to feel weird for 3-10 days. Side effects include feeling nauseous, headache, spaceyness, funny eyesight, constant tiredness, yawning alot, inability to concentrate.

For me the spaceyness & sickness/headache were gone after 4 days, but during this time I wouldnt have been able to work. concentration returned at 5-6 weeks, but still quite tired all the time.

Not had any major happiness return but then i guess I have always been depressed. It has stopped me from crying all the time & not wanting to live anymore & being unable to sleep though.

Good luck with the meds, they ease the symptoms, but to get real happiness I think involves making changes in your life.

• Posted

60mg would be a lot to start off with. Have you taken them before at a lower dose and worked up to 60? If you're starting on this dose speak to your GP and ask why?
  • Posted

I am on day 9 of citalopram and i too feel more anxious and worse than i did before. Can you reassure me that this is ok and it will pass.

Read on the packet information that it can happen but i am worried that i wil be like this forever

• Posted

You won't be like this forever. Those feelings are symptoms of your illness. You will get better.

Have you looked on Will Beswicks website. Do a google search on his name. It gave me reassurance.

I have been where you are! Now at 13 weeks of 30mg of cit I am getting my life back, my mind doesn't race or worry, I just get on with life.

all the best Linda

• Posted

Thank you Linda, you sound like a lovely lady and i really appreciate your kind, supportive words
  • Posted

I am now on day 6 of cit. days 4 and 5 weere absolutely horrendous, compete panic over everything, bordering mania, shaking, feeling sick, felt like killing myself, and really couldnt tolerate what was going on with my mind at all. Today however, im much calmer. ill try and persevere, ive looked on a lot of forums both in the uk and abroad and this seems to be the normal course with these tablets. Im on 20mg a day.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.