citalopram

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have been taking Citalopram for about 3 years, first 20mg, then 30mg and then in August increased to 60mg. I started t have some memory difficulties. In October I had 2 massive seizures resulting in brain injury. I now have constant seizure activity.  Too many problems to mention here but my life is ruined.  I am still having tests but at the moment the most likely cause is Citalopram.

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I am so very sorry. Citalopram has ruined my life too. Are you still on citalopram? I hate these meds so much.
  • Posted

I actually thought the maximum dosage was 40mg 😱 hope you're okay and getting the help you need x
  • Posted

Hi Sara...so sorry to hear what this dreadful pill has done to you..yes the maximum dose is 40 mg..this max dose was brought in a few years back because it was realised anything above 40 mg was dangerous..you need to get advice on this as your GP was wrong to prescribe this massive dose

I truly hope your life settles back down 

kind regards 

Pat

I have just weaned myself off 40 mg..it's taken a year and these last 2 months have been dreadful...it's a nasty drug 

• Posted

I am so sorry to hear that. I have just started taking citalopram long term and this is the first bad thing I have heard.

I hope the doctors can find the root of the problem and you can start to get better.

are you in the US? The maximum dose here is 40mg. X

• Posted

I queried the dose with my GP a while ago but she said that it is still quite common to prescribe 60mg. I would be interested to know if 40mg maximum was just a recommendation or whether it was meant to be an absolute maximum.  To be fair I believe the seizure threshold lowering is a very rare side effect but really, I wouldn't want my worst enemy to go through this, I have been left with a brain injury and amnesia.

• Posted

Hi Sara..I would of thought that the pharmacist,who knows more about drugs,dosage etc would have noticed if this was wrong?..have you asked a pharmacist?... I hope things get better for you soon x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.