Citalopram

Posted , 3 users are following.

Over the last year have been through a rough time, put people first before myself. It finally caught up with me. Started taking Citalopram on Friday, but could not cope with the side effects i.e. shaking, headaches and feeling of being sick, therefore have come off the tablets. I still feel down but will monitor how I go. I will be glad to get back to my old self as I have never

had depression before. Hopefully seeing a councillor will help as I have always been a strong person who has been very anti medication for stress/depression but realise it is required.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I had anxiety and panic attacks as a result of an illness. I have been on citalopram for 12 weeks as well as counselling. The counselling is great support. For me the citalopram side effects as you described lasted a week. The tabs take a few weeks to work (I am on 30mg). I think they help you to cope and to work to regain your life.

Like you I am a strong character who thought that anti-ds were a sign of weakness!

I have found a book and a website useful. The author helped himself without tablets to regain his confidence and obtain a positive mental balance. If you do a google search for Will Beswick you should find his website.

hope this helps and all the best

Linda

• Posted

Hi Linda,

Just reading your last post, and its very similar to mine except I am about to start venlafaxine after trying many other antid,s, wont bore you with all my probs which has been diagnosed as severe anxiety, depression and a panic dissorder. I have just researched Will Beswick,s sight and was considering buying his book, did you find it helpfull and worth buying ,I have bought so many books on the subject and all seem to say the same.

Love to hear your thoughts on this book before I buy it.

Many Thanks

Colette.

• Posted

When I first bought the book I didn't feel like reading it! Then as I began to think a bit more clearly I started reading it. I found it really helpful. It gave me hope and understanding. What he guides you to do is to learn how to go with the flow and live for the moment rather than hanging onto your thoughts and trying to control every situation. By trying to analyse your thoughts and focussing on them you are feeding the anxiety and panic. Will describes how you can stop the anxiety and panic by letting the thoughts just pass (through one ear and out the other!).

I have now passed the book on to my CBT nurse in the hope that it will help her to help others.

What I didn't like about the book was the extracts from the e-mails Will received from folks trying out his methods...it made the book repetitive.

You get a fair flavour of the book from the website.

All the best

Linda

• Posted

Thanx for your reply Linda, might see if I can get it from the libery.

From

Colette.

• Posted

I have experienced the most awful menopause. Having been on HRT for many years (15) I was taken off them and then my symptoms returned with vengeance. I haven't had a full night's sleep in 7 years. Even drying my hair kicked off a hot flush, drinking coffee was out of the question, I have had to shower instead of luxuriate in a bath, even a sip of wine brought on a hot flush. I took all manner of herbal remedies but they only helped slightly, if at all. Finally in desperation, I went to my Well Woman clinic where the doctor suggested that new research has found that SSRI drugs, e.g. Citalopram, can help alleviate the symptoms. The result is like magic. My life has changed. In four weeks I haven't had one single disturbed night, I have the occasional mild hot flush when I am naughty (glass of wine, cup of coffee). My husband says he doesn't know what to do now that he doesn't have to spend his nights mopping me down. The only negative effects are that I get a bit fudgy and am not quite as sharp as I would normally be and also, sadly, orgasm is not as easy to achieve. This, for me, is a price worth paying :D

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.