Citalopram

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello

have been on citalopram for 7 months now (10mg) and feeling much better (suffer anxiety, panic, depression) - went to doctor today and he has suggested to up to the 20mg - said to try for a couple of weeks and let him know whether I wish to carry on at the 20mg - just wondering if anyone has upped the mg at the 6/7 month stage? And if you did, how are you getting on?

thank you

susan

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

If you're feeling better on 10mg then why does he want to up your medicine?

I've always taken 20mg which is the usual dose for most people.  I  recovered on 20mg and after years of taking it I did decrease my dose to 10mg and maintained my well being on that.

When you up your dose you will get side effects again - happens with every dose increase, but they'll ease off after a while.

If you're not feeling quite well yet, then the increase is a good idea, but if you're feeling ok now I'd question why increasing it.

K xx

• Posted

Hello -

Not really sure but could be that 20mg would be the usual dose as you say for most people.

i have been on this drug twice before at 10mg and 20mg over the years but when I've come off them the symptoms slowly creep back!

i usually just struggle on for as long as I can before going onto meds!

i would probably cope with the side effects.

will chat with my husband tonight and decide what to do

thank you for answering my question

regards Susan x

• Posted

I came off this meds a year ago and took a natural SSRI, but restarted last August due to family illness and the stress of it began to drag me down so I restarted them before I hit rock bottom.  I'll come off them again soon.

During the time I was off them, I took 5-HTP and l-tyrosine, both bought over the counter.  You need both together.  5-HTP is apparently very similar to SSRI's.  Read the book by Michael T Murray called Thr Natural Way to Overcome Depression - it's a very interesting read.

So, if ever you decide to come off them again, give them a go.

Why have you come off the medication before?  You can take this for life if need be.  Maybe try the 20mg and get yourself feeling back to being great, and then eventually reduce it to 10mg or 5mg and see if you can maintain feeling well on that.  Some persistent side effects lessen too with a lesser dose.

• Posted

Thank you for response - i shall keep the natural remedy in mind and shall obtain the book from amazon.

I have come off this twice - both times thought i would be okay and twice it came back - in between times i just struggled on with the panic/anxiety/depression which really upset me and family - so this time i really need to stay on long term i think - having talked with my husband tonight - am going to try the 20mg for a couple of weeks and see - dr said to phone in two weeks and let him know if I'm okay taking the 20mg!

Regards

Susan x

• Posted

Hi katecogs....interested in the supplements I'm just wondering was there a certain dose u had to take as when I buy ant herbal supplement I never no how much to take 😧
    • Posted

Hi a18842

I just took 1 tablet of each per day (don't remember the doseage recommended in the book, will have to look that up), but my bottle of 5-HTP is 50mg and says take 1 - 2 per day, and l-tyrosine bottle is 500mg and that's 1 per day.

You mustn't take these with Citalopram or any other SSRI by the way.  Only take when you stop taking the meds.

• Posted

It is strange how it comes back isn't it.  I've come off them before too and I can just feel it creeping back.  The last time though I took 5-HTP etc I was fine for about a year.

That's good you'll try 20mg.  Should try that dose for a long time though.

K x

• Posted

Thanks I'm not planning to take them yet as I'm on citalopram but it's good to no for the future if ANC when I come off these 😀
    • Posted

That's interesting about the natural SSRI. We'll look into that for when I am ready to come off and the Doc says to start reducing. In the meantime I shall do some reading!

Cheers Me Dear!

David x

• Posted

You can take SSRI's for life if needed, they're not addictive.  But do get the book about the natural one, it's really interesting and makes sense.

K x

• Posted

When you say you feel much better do you mean much better than you were without it or much better that you feel back to normal.  There is a big difference.  The doctor might think and see an improvement in you but feel that that extra 10% could make the difference between feeling better and feeling your normal self again. He's only asking you to try it for a couple of weeks. If it doesn't continue to improve things then you come of 20mg and revert to the original 10mg. There's nothing to lose and a lot to gain.
    • Posted

Hi - i mean that i feel better than without it - i agree that doc wants to see if an extra 10% may do the job and i have talked to my husband who doesn't seem to think i need more but if i want that i should try for the two weeks at least! As you say i can always come back to the 10mg - thank you for your input, much appreciated - Susan x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.