Citalopram 4 months

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi All,

Been taking citalopram for four months and have had amazing results, but last few days I seem to again, be over sensitive to news stories & General gloom, I truly thought I had turned a corner, but seem to be going down a bit, I have been on my period this week, and my son is flying to America next week alone to visit friends of the family, not sure if this has caused the setback. Is it normal to go slightly down after so long.?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Yes this is quite normal during recovery.  Often you'll think you've got better, to find yourself down again.  This can happen many times but will eventually get less as time goes by and eventually stop.

I felt better by 3-4 months but continued to be up and down for a while after.  Just go with it and knowing it's part of recovery helps a lot.

K x

• Posted

Are you still on ciatopram kate ive ben on it for three weeks still feeling verry anxious especially in th mornings
    • Posted

Hi Stephen I am on cit for about 3 weeks and yes still anxious, in the morning is worse
    • Posted

I am drinking about half to three quaters of a bottle of wine a night i know its not good, but it relaxes me in the eavning, but i am wondering if that makes it worse, or is that stating the obveous.
    • Posted

Yes I'm still on Citalopram.  Mornings were my worst time - I often wonder if it was just my body realising I had yet another day to get through :-(

I recovered on these meds but it took about 6 months.  

3 weeks is still early.  You'll notice slight improvement / changes as each month goes by.  Recovery is so gradual, and your mood will be up and down too.

Its so worth the journey :-)

K x

• Posted

I wouldn't drink, especially in these early days.  I drink wine now but have been on these meds for years.  It does relax you I know, but these meds are pretty serious stuff and increase serotonin in the brain (SSRIs block the reuptake of serotonin, meaning more serotonin than usual remains available in the synaptic space between the two nerves).

Alcohol is a depressant and can affect the balance between thoughts, feelings and actions.

Whilst this medication is trying to get into your body, I'd stay clear of alcohol for the time being.  Let the medication have a clear path to do it's job.  

Its a tough road, Ive been there and know how painful it is, but with patience and perseverance, accepting everything for now and whatever you're going through, you'll find it'll all come right in the end.

Youll get back the person you used to be :-)

K x

• Posted

Hi Chrissy,

Firstly put the bottle down! You really don't need it.

I think you may be getting there and the set backs you mention are probably what we all would have felt before coming here. The news etc is all doom and gloom, rarely do they put anything newsworthy on any of the media and that too, my friend is why a lot of us are here! Negative conditioning.

I am on sick leave with work related stress and have been for four months now. Difficult as it has been I have tried to keep positive and my Fiancee, Ann, has been my strength. However, I have changed my lifestyle, decided not to go back to that which was causing the stress and part of this has been to get rid of the TV (we do watch DVDs, but hey! we get to choose what we watch), we listen to Radio 2 (please note other radio stations are available (even though they're dross! Lol!)) and of course get news via the web. Here we can read for ourselves and pick out the crap and get the facts.

I have also given up smoking and drinking (regular), every night I was getting home an relaxing with a bottle of oblivion, eating junk food/comfort food and edging myself toward an early grave. I decided with Ann, my Doc and everyone here helping I had to do something, the best I could.

Anyway, whenever a loved one goes away we miss them, so that is quite natural wheras all the other cr*p ain't!

We're also looking to go as self sufficient as when can too! Now, I guess that is going to the extreme, for some, but I/we are far better for it.

Good Luck Chrissy and tell your son, "don't forget to send a post card!" Do they do them anymore? I guess he could send emails and skype! There you go a more closer intimate contact form of comms than a postcard.

Keep here, there are loads of friends to help you.

Regards,

David

Ps Now that I am strating to go out on me own I just might go see if I can find a postcard and send it to someone!

When I was signed off with

• Posted

Hi david,

Thanks so much for your kind reply, thought I was the only one who gets down with the news. I put the bottle down 12 years ago actually, seems that was someone else on same thread, would never pour petrol onto a fire. X

• Posted

Whoa! Sorry Chrissy,

Definitely got me threads confused there! Duh! Sorry again!

I have basically got the downs where they should be for me. Not sure it makes sense, but never mind! When down there is only one way and that is up! I have lost people through feeling so very much alone who could not see that; one was a family member, a niece. I am staying here because these are the people who help lift my head upwards!

Stay tuned!

Regards,

David

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.