Citalopram 4 weeks already

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have GAD and was prescribed 20 mg citalopram 4 weeks ago till today 27/02/18 , my anxiety stems from the fear of having OCD since i read many things and saw many videos about it i developed this fear 3 month ago and i think about it and monitor myself for it all the time .

I experience alot of side effects i can talk about them if someone is intersted.

Till today i noticed very very small improvments but still anxiety in morning is there and thoughts are there and i wake up in middle of the nights because of weird anxious thoughts.

is what am i experiencing normal or should i consider to change medications ? since it should start working from 4 to 6 weeks ?

Thanks alot

0 likes, 63 replies

Report / Delete

63 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I was 7 weeks before I saw real improvement, hang in there I was told 12 weeks
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

hi there i m on day 25 on cit , same moring is worse with this anxious feelin my mood is up and dow i was put on this med for anxiety still not see any gd improvments , i m gone give it anthore month if no improvements they goin st to the bin , sotime i m thinkin this med is makin my anxiety worse and allways thinkin what if is not write for me but they say it takes long to get in to ur system.🙏🤞 

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

All sounds pretty normal for first month on cit but I think it will be much better by week 6. So maybe give it couple more weeks. Worst side effect for me was nausea and increased anxiety which have now both disappeared.  We are all interested in how you are going so keep posting!
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Today 12/03/2018

Waking up in the middle of the night is gone .

I had good past 3 days .

Today was bad i was angry and anxious and dwelling on obsessive thoughts to no end.

sometimes i think it's working sometimes i don't

and when it's working it's not that it's magic land but it's more like everything is a biit easier not that big tho.

I don't know if i should up my dosage or not now that it's 6 weeks already .

Thanks,

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I advise you to at least wait 3months to up your dosage..you gotta give time to the consistent dose your on like 12 weeks..higher dose isn't going to make you feel better quicker.. remember that starting and increase dose will be like starting all over again...

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

7 weeks have passed today 20/3/18

Now sleeping is much easier and longer.

Dwelling on obsessive thoughts is much less and controllable.

Anxiety symptoms is there but alot less.

Morning anxiety is still there and strong.

Attention is a bit better than before but still worse than before i started.

Overall i would say there's an improvement over the last week.

I hope this week anxiety would continue to get lesser as i have social anxiety as well.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

That is great to hear I am around same time as you a little ahead ! But still have morning anxiety and obsessive thoughts about the future!! Overall though my mood feels lighter thank goodness!! I am looking forward to the 12 week mark as I am sure the anxiety will drop off by then!! Well done for persevering with the meds now you will see all the benefits x x 
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I am good , now it's morning and still anxiety is there,

i have also some social anxiety and it's still there when i meet ppl i don't knw.

How is your experience with that ?

And my doctor also wanted me to up to 30mg but i told him i wanna finish at least 10 weeks before doing so.

What's your opinion after uppin to 30mg, is it now better ?

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Go with your gut feeling many on this forum have said they recovered on only 10mgs if you feel you want to wait a while longer to increase do it. You can always increase later. I have anxiety that comes whenever but not usually when I am out! It’s more when I have too much time on my hands to think!!!! I try be mindful and contain that first thought that sets be off if I am successful then I don’t go into anxiety if not then I do weird I know. Still hoping it’s all side effects of cit and will leave ASAP 
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

8.5 weeks passed.

Nothing different than the 7 weeks mark.

Sleeping is awsome nw vivid dreams are gone.

Dwelling on obsessive thoughts are still there unfortunately but i guess less.

Concentration is a tiny bit better i guess.

I eat like a monster.

No sexual side effects .

Morning anxiety is a tiny bit better.

But still when i dwell on obsessive thoughts and thinking about future i feel pessimistic and down.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

9.5 weeks have passed.

Morning anxiety is alot better.

Appetit is normal

Sexual function is normal

Anxiety in general is bit better than a week ago

Social anxiety is defenitley still there but also better than before i started citalopram

Still feel afraid and down when i think about the future

Concentration is the same as last week and less than normal in general.

I seem that its hard to follow my train of thoughts now as it seem to break easily and i cant think deep for a long time in a topic or any thought, maybe that's how it works to lessen your obsessive thoughts.

Will report again in 1 week or so.

If anyone reading this can you tell me about your experience ?

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi there I am about a week behind you and yes I feel the same I have good days but if I let myself dwell on the future I get anxious still. I had no morning anxiety but it started about lunchtime and been obsessing on and off all afternoon!! Still got little appetite but push myself to eat as I don’t want to lose any more weight!! Good to hear about your journey 
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thanks alot gillip keep posting, it seems that we have more less the same thing...am freaked out when i thi nk about the future and cant even imagine myself working full time with a good happy life, i always imagine the worst :D

But now since citalopram it's defenitley better

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up