Citalopram 40mg

Posted , 3 users are following.

Has anybody done the move from 30 to 40 mg of citalopram? How was it?

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hey Jen,

I am on 40mg of cit. I started at the end of January I was on 10mg for a week the 20mg and then went up to 30mg which had a few side effects so I went down to 20mg then back up to 30mg and then finally on the 40mg. They were all a week apart aswell but my doctor seemed fine about it. I have severe anxiety symptoms so the only one I noticed more was the increased anxiety when forst starting them and a little brain fog in the morning about half hour after I took them.

Other than that I was fine. To me it's a small price to pay to feel "normal" again! I've been on the 40mg for about 10 months now. I still get bouts of anxiety here and then most times when I have an event on I get anxious before going or just because it's getting to that time of the month! But all I have now is the anxiety here and there which is great for me even though it sits in my chest and is annoying what can ya do?

I never thought I would have to resort to anti-depressants but I'm glad I did as I was really bad. I have tingling sensations numb face and lips which I thought I was having a stroke, even went to the er I was that scared. Pains all through my arms, chest pain, feeling like someone was choking me, dizziness and just all out panic and anxiety everyday wondering what symptom I was going to have today.

I'm so glad that all that is over because I was a mess and when you have to young kids to raise it's alot harder to keep yourself together. Sorry for blabbing on haha.

I hope this helped a little bit but hopefully you don't have many side effects upping the dose. Have you had many symptoms from upping you's last doses?

Cassandra

• Posted

Thanks Cassandra. Yes, when I went from 20 to 30 I had increased anxiety and insomnia. I've been wanting to go 40 for some time, I just worry about the symptoms. May I ask how much you weigh? I'm quite petite and worry that 40 is too much for my size?
    • Posted

I has to go back down when I tried 30mg Co I was becoming aware of my heart beat which was scaring me too much but I knew I needed to wait it out and then it came good. I weigh ... 85kg which sucks as I am only 5'7. I have put on 10 kilos. Which when I first started out I lost a few kilos but I do have a poor diet which I'm going to get my arse into gear after Xmas aND start eating healthier and taking time for myself to exercise as I have exercised in a few months due to being busy and working full time again as my partner had a knee recon in septemeber (we work at his parents deli, family business) which is great as we have to kids so one of us will be with the kids and the other works. I will only have to do part time in the new year which will give me more time to do things.

I have read weight gain is common when taking anti depressants

• Posted

I just worry that 40 mg is a big dose for someone who is small, does that make sense? Like, the difference of me having two beers bs a man having 2 beers...
    • Posted

Have you spoken to your doctor about it. If he or she has recommended the 40mg they probably has weighed up the odds. I don't think because your so small it should have much effect as it mainly for your serotonin levels to even out in the brain I think.

If you unsure or really worried it wouldn't hurt to see your doctor for reassurance chick

• Posted

Hi Cassandra.   I've been on 40mg citalopram for years with no adverse effects, but I am obese with a BMI of 40.  I take it for the depression aspects of my bipolar though it has never done anything for my anxiety, for which I still occasionally take 5mg diazepam.  I guess being obese means my body can cope better with the higher dose.

Wishing you well

Lizzie xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.