Citalopram

Posted , 8 users are following.

I've just started on citalopram 20mg and I feel so tired and spaced out I literally don't feel like I'm awake . I'm sleepy all day and feel sick. When will these feelings go away?

0 likes, 24 replies

Report / Delete

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

hi there katie,

how long have you been on these for and did the doc put u on 20. as im on 10 i feel the same but now i take at night and also when i feel sick ill eat a banna and that helps alot chick x

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Katie,

I know the feeling and it isn't nice but you feel worse before you start feeling better.I don't know about you but I had to go to work and I was spaced out,yawning,feeling sick,couldn't concentrate and felt shattered.This.lasted for about 2-3 weeks.

I take my tablet in the morning.What about you?

All I can say is that you're not on your own and a lot of people have these side effects but they will subside and it's worth it in the end..

Hope you can do it.

Take care,

Sharon.x

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I don't understand abt Citalopram. I was taken off them because of a scare tht people on 40 MG's a day up had been given heart problems. I am now on Sertraline. I found Citalopram very effective. You have to give them 3 mths,then maybe lower the dose if you're still drowsy
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Reading the other replies I'm shocked, I was on 60 MG's Citalopram a day and other meds,inc strong pain killers. I was a single working mum of 4 too.

I found them very good.

Hope you get sorted soon

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Katie. I started on a low dose and I didn't feel myself either, anxiety level was high and tired too, dizzy off and on, spacey, eyes didn't focus right. I upped my dose from 5 to 10 now after 5 weeks on the baby dose of 5 mg, been a total of just over 6 weeks on this cit pill, starting to slowly improve, tired yes but not all day anymore, spacey, somewhat but not all day either. I read on here to give it 6 to 8 weeks, so soon I hope to be back to me! Give it time if you can, you too,as I've been told on this site, you'll be you soon!
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hey I'm feeling and going through the same right now, only in my second week and on 10 mg, thick head, dizzy s
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hey I'm feeling and going through the same right now, only in my second week and on 10 mg, thick head, dizzy spells, feeling sick, yawning and loss of strength,

Struggled to get out of bed this morning and have had to push myself all day to get the work done,

Pushed myself into the gym tonight to and managed a session, but strength and drive not there right now, hopes and thoughts are with you all right now, one day at a time

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hey Nick. How long have you been on the cit for? I've reached my 2 weeks, but after a couple of better days been feeling low again. Struggling to get up in the mornings, and hopeless at motivating myself to exercise. #missingit. Looking for some inspiration.
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hey E L R,

Will be at two weeks by tomorrow, was not expecting things to be so difficult at first, just general things seem to be such an effort, feel a little better today knowing I did my best at the gym last evening, even though it weren't the best workout ever !!

Gonna try rowing and cycling later today, with

Some music on, just helps to to take the mind away even if only for a short while, give it a go, we can do this, I'm sure, time wink

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Good on you Nick. Sounds like you are soldering on! Yep, it's been tougher than I thought it would have been too, but glad you are feeling a bit better. Hopefully I can pinch a bit of inspiration from you. Thanks for that.

Man I'm so missing the exercise, but I think I'm in a rut. Massively weird as I seem to have lost my confidence in going to the gym. Running is my biggest love, but I'm afraid my gym & running peers will be onlooking and judging my poor performance. I know it's rubbish! These are my own demons and I have to overcome these to get back exercising.

Keep posting, and I wish you well with your recovery.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hey dude,

I'm now on day 12 today, it's tough but we can do this, I too was in a rut, so I guess I know a little how your feeling,

Remember little steps, don't worry about your performance at the gym, use the park / trails to train - weather it for 5 mins or an hour, I swear you will feel better for it in yourself,

I hate struggled with anxiety and depression and most days are a fight,

Felt sick and thick headed all day today, so gonna try to relax tonight,

Keep well dude,

Remember little steps sir too !!!

thanks for you help too

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Your words just seem to ring true with me Nick. Thanks. Though a city dweller, I'm just 2 minutes from beautiful parkland that stretches for miles and miles. I have forgotten their beauty and appeal. I will get out there once more. Little steps as you say.

I hope you have felt better this evening, lighter headed, and managed to relax. Keep the faith in the cit! I'm mostly reading success stories.

For myself, I'm feeling 10mg is not doing the trick for me. Maybe I'm just in a lull again while the mess stabilise in my system, so I'll continue till Monday 8th when I have my review with the GP.

My struggles are depression & WRS. Not helped this evening by a text from my boss outlining what she wants me to do in the morning at 8. The stressing bit, my start time is 9, but my boss knows I get in early to prioritise my day. I guess she has every right to ask me to pay attention to an urgent matter in the morning, but knowing my WRS, I thought she may have had more realisation than to disturb my personal time this evening.

My moto. Onwards and upwards. I got a big upwards to climb. I'm keen for the cit to kick in, so I can recover my confidence, and deal with my WRS.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hey ELR,

Hope you smashed the day of work, pressures from work and bosses are not the best things when were in this stage of depression, stress levels seem to go through the roof with the smallest of things,

I hope you've managed a small run by now,

before and during exercise I found it hard but if you slow it down a little it's manageable - then the after is a comforting feeling of - yes, I did it !!

And this is then a positive and a step.

Anyhow day 14 today, some of the side affects seem to be subsiding a little, feeling empty and a bit lethargic today, managed a small session in gym again last evening and gonna try and do a jog later today,

Hope you've got the day off work to relax a little,

Back at you too dude with keeping the faith in the cit,

Take it easy pal smile

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Very true about small things seemingly becoming massive in my brain. I can relate to that. Yep, I smash the day in the office yesterday. Thanks. was a bit heavy on the booze last night at a retirement party (not mine unfortunately). I thinks when I drink on Cit, the next day I suffer the side effects more. Been a feeling a little panicked, but managed the supermarket as well as doing Parkrun this morning.

The parkrun just felt weird, as hung over, dizzy, and having a feeling of not liking people come up behind me. I ran without my watch, so no pressure for time. When I got the result, my slowest 5k for years, but all I can say is I did it. Tick. Run done. If I can add some enjoyment next time then that would be good. Maybe I could have enjoyed this morning if I was not hungover too, but that I'll never know!

Basically I stopped running after I did a local race. I was with my running peers and at the end of the race I panicked and then broke down. That's when I realised the depression was affecting my physical health too. que when I started cit! And ever since, a fear of trying again.

Well now I've tried, and though not enjoyed, it was not horrible either. Onwards and upwards.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Very true about small things seemingly becoming massive in my brain. I can relate to that. Yep, I smash the day in the office yesterday. Thanks. was a bit heavy on the booze last night at a retirement party (not mine unfortunately). I thinks when I drink on Cit, the next day I suffer the side effects more. Been a feeling a little panicked, but managed the supermarket as well as doing Parkrun this morning.

The parkrun just felt weird, as hung over, dizzy, and having a feeling of not liking people come up behind me. I ran without my watch, so no pressure for time. When I got the result, my slowest 5k for years, but all I can say is I did it. Tick. Run done. If I can add some enjoyment next time then that would be good. Maybe I could have enjoyed this morning if I was not hungover too, but that I'll never know!

Basically I stopped running after I did a local race. I was with my running peers and at the end of the race I panicked and then broke down. That's when I realised the depression was affecting my physical health too. que when I started cit! And ever since, a fear of trying again.

Well now I've tried, and though not enjoyed, it was not horrible either. Onwards and upwards.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Well done for the park run, I understand when you say about people coming up behind you when running, it's an eary feeling,

Was supposed to get up and get on the park runyself today, but total loss of drive again this morning,

Two weeks ago was my last with a time of 27:32 not brill but not bad for me as running goes !!

Trying to re point the patio at the minute, and seem to be doing a bit and sitting down for a bit - no wonder it's taking so long,

Wi get my act together in a while and gonna go for a jog and try some sets of sprints before the football starts

Take it easy with that hangover, and good on you for the run smile

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hello Nick. So how have you been? Getting better and stronger? Exercising? Getting out for your runs?

I've had a good day today! Still haven't plucked up the courage to get to the gym, but 2 of my running buddies came to my house and dragged me out this evening. I arranged it with them on Sunday and was kind of hoping that they would forget, but they didn't. They took me out to the parkland, and we ran for about 50minutes. Again I ran without my watch, so no pressure for pace, distance or time. I'm sure the pace was super slow, but it felt difficult to me today. We ran, chatted and joked and I laughed. It was refreshing.

i won't say it was a pleasure yet. I could feel the tension in my shoulders, but it was a release. Happy face this evening. 😃. 

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hey ELR,

Wow that's a massive step up dude, even though it don't seem to be right now,

50 min run / no pressure / laughter and a feeling of 'yeah I did it' is really cool !!

Congratulations smile

Me myself - I'm keeping myself busy by doing the gym sessions every other evening and also smashed a session of self defence class on Monday evening - still don't feel comfortable in everything that's going round in my head, and all of the time I'm thinking does my lack of effort show to other people / anxiety I'm sure - sleep is not refreshing either at the minute, as don't seem to be sleeping deep, and feeling very tired when I have to wake at 6am.

Yeah I got the tension to between my shoulder blades and the more anxious I seem the more tension there is, hope this subsides in the near future,

Keep up the good work dude, and we will get there in time

Godspeed wink

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Many thanks nick! Sounds like you are putting in a Stirling effort yourself! Did you manage to finish re-pointing your patio?

Snap on the sleep though. I can say I'm sleeping better, but not great. Not needing to pop a nytol anymore to doze over, but waking 3-4 times a night, then finding it impossible to get up, even though awake again befor the alarm.

Mornings are definitely the hardest, but days after bad sleeps are difficult too. Last night I had an awful disturbed sleep, so today I'm tired, and grumpy.

Fingers crossed for a better sleep tonight. I've been stressing a little today as work hectic, and also worried about a race coming up this weekend.

Stick in there yourself dude. Thanks for your inspiration. I'm working on taking it on board.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thanks for you support too dude, not completed the pointing up yet as 1/4 letf to do, then the pathway & final job is to retuff the garden - once all this is complete I can hopefully relax.

Still there's always something to do !!!

Best wishes dude smile

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up