Citalopram

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi all, Im on my 4th day of medication im on 20mg after suffering from Anxiety/panick attacks. and slight depression. I feel awful, head is all fuzzy, cant concentrate on anything work etc. feel sick sleeping really early but waking up at 4am, so tired. Im self employed so i have to be at work, but im finding it so difficult to concentrate on the smallest of duties, i cant even focus on stuff at home, I feel more unwell now than i did before i went to the GP. I really want to stop taking them because of these affects. But GP as said i can feel like this for a couple weeks. What should i do? take time from work? my customers are asking questions as im not focusing aswell,

0 likes, 42 replies

42 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi jason, im sorry your feeling that way at the moment, my advice to you is to stick on your medication, it takes 4-6 weeks or sometimes 2 mos ( like my case) for the medicine to kick in, you can take a leave  if you really cant do your job for the meantime thats perfectly fine, give yourself a break, everything will be alright.... Just hang in there......
    • Posted

Thank you John,

I just hope my customers understand, Some dont because they have never had this before so they dont understand how im feeling. I really will stick with the medication. I think your right im going to take some time out. Thank you

• Posted

hey Jason, its gets better brother! stay on the meds they are truely gods work I have been on for 5 mths and feel normal again before that I was highly depressed with major anxiety believing I was going to slowly die, 5 months on I feel great so too will you smile
  • Posted

Hi Jason

Firstly, just please know, that's lots of people have been through or are going through what you are. And it will get better. I told people at work I had a really nasty virus which gave me a couple of weeks breathing space. Treat yourself well, don't panic. please don't stop taking the medication. I felt like I was going crazy when I first started them, I felt anxious, panicky, foggy in the head, vivid dreams... It lasted about 10-14 days then I suddenly started to feel better. The medication had helped me through a really hard time in my life. Just gave me the boost to cope. I'm sure they will do the same for you. You're in the hardest stage.. But it WILL pass..... Lots of love to you. X

• Posted

Thank you Tids,

You just described exactly how im feeling. smile it's comfating to know people have been through this. Im so pleased your at the othe end and the medication worked. All in time i guess, small steps. it all started way back last december had so much stress then moved to new home, that needs alot of work. I just remember last week coming home and collapsed on the floor. The GP said i have had a breakdown. Her advice was 2 weeks time out, But i get myselfin such a state and over worry about things. x

• Posted

That's exactly how I was, two small children to care for and was so worried about money if I couldn't work, but my mother said if I had flu I would be in bed... So that's what I did for 7 days, went to bed, let others help, then after 7 days I got up, still felt shaky and panicky bit I took small steps, spent and hour here or there catching up on emails, people thought I'd had flu so were understanding ( work people that is! ) and then gradually I felt better, but take things slowly your body had stopped working for a reason! I am 7 months down the line now, have no side effects that bother me, I still worry a bit but am able to push those thoughts away, and run the house, work 4 days a week, support my husband in his busy career, as long as I sleep well, eat well, all is good. ( cut down on coffee these first few weeks... It made my heart pound! ) if I can help at all just let me know. You'll be fine! X
    • Posted

Thank you so much, Yes been drinking lots of coffee, recently only due to feeling tired. But maybe i should stop you are right my body shut down for a reason, I was am still trying to over work it. Today im going to stop and not worry about work. If i cant help myself im going to be no good to other people.. smile
  • Posted

Just keep yourself busy ( i know its hard) but it helps, talk to someone who really understand your situation, your family love ones, make a note of your progress... 

Your in my prayer

• Posted

Hi Jason,

It is going to be difficult in your situation if you cannot take time out. Even a week would be better than nothing, but this med does take time. You do not want to stop taking it because in the end it is definitely worth it - how long to the end? No one can say as we are all different.

The side effects are yuk! We all go through similar and variations of intensity of these and from what you have said so far is par for the course. Anxiety! Cita causes it to be able to treat it! Even if, like me, you didn't have it. Therefore, if you have someone working for you let them drive, if you don't which I guess is the case you have to think seriously about driving. Some people manage alright as it helps them concentrate, it took me 5 months before I drove again, but that may have been because I came here as a Transport Manager with work related stress!

This is a great "sticking plaster for the brain" and you must let it heal you! I found by sticking close to this forum it help me concentrate my mind on trying to help myself think things through. I also had a complete lifestyle change gave up smoking, cut down on alcohol by one hell of a %, but we still meet up with friends for a drink once a month, I became veggie and crank up the music when needed does help.

Think about what is important, and that my friend is you and your health. Of course Family is up there too, but if you are ill you are no good to them or yourself. Do not put off what you can do today and then hopefully tomorrow or the next day, or the next or (and so on) things will start to improve. You will be a better man for it too, I know I am!

So, Welcome to the Club! Keep reading posts, keep posting no matter how silly or insignificant it may seem there is always someone to give you an answer. This is the best site, I assure and reassure you!

Best Regards,

David

• Posted

Stick with it jase. The side effects will die down shortly. I know the feeling completely. You cant function at work. Tell your customers you have family problems or something and need to take couple weeks off. Dont feel guilty about wanting/needing to just hide under your douvet until the meds start to kick in. Its an illness like anything physical and you need to recover.

I was on 40 but cut down to 20 as side effects were extreme. Dizzyness. Panic attacks. Unable to eat. Blurred vision. Feeking like im being strangled. Fuzzy arms and legs. Work was impossible but it passes.

Worst thing about citalopram that docs dont tell you is that it destroys your sex life but wgen you feel that depressed, sex is last thibg on your mind.

Give it a month. Youll start to feel a tonne better.

Steve.

• Posted

Steve is right, and I would also like to add if, and only if, your labido is affected, don't worry it'll come back again. It may take time and as he says you have other things on your mind (which, without the old hormones rushing about is a good thing!).

I guess we have to admit one thing - our brains are in our pants! Actually, it is true, but then "that's nature for you!".

Regards,

David

• Posted

That made me smile, Labido seems to be ok unaffected, Thank you for all the reples everyone i will stay close to this forum, its going to help... smile
  • Posted

Hi Jason,I have had similar experience  with my son being on this med.

Take it at night before bed,because of the drowsiness it causes,many people suggest this.As for being unsure as to staying on it,my advise is to stick with it and you will start to feel better in about 3-4 weeks.It's worth the pain and suffering.Good luck and if you can't avoid time off work,at least try to lesson your load a little...you come first.

• Posted

Thank you, I'm sticking in there, is your son ok now? Did he get better?
    • Posted

Hi Jason,my son is slowly getting better,he has a rare combination of ocd/agorophobia/anxiety if you could imagine.He had syptoms of ocd from an early age but after hitting puberty at age 13 he developed severe anxiety and wouldn't leave the house anymore even for school.He is now able to leave the house for short outings but is still not in school,although,he is currently about to attempt after school tutoring alone with his teacher in the classroom.We hope this is the transition back to school.I'll let you know.As far as your work goes,take time for yourself during this trying period and I do agree with others,to cut down or eliminate caffiene for now.Take care my friend!

We pray this works

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.