Citalopram

Posted , 8 users are following.

I'm going on week 2 of taking Citalopram 20mg.  I took 1/2 pill for the first 5 days now I'm on 1 pill. It seems it's keeping me from sleeping then I'm extremely tired the next day. How does everyone do that takes it in the morning instead of night time?

0 likes, 15 replies

Report / Delete

15 Replies

• Posted

I'm on day 4 of 20mg and I'm at work right now. I'm soooo tired I could fall asleep standing up. Almost zombie like. It's not good. My dr had me take a full pill to start. She didn't say to titrate it.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi - I have had an ok time with the Cit. and most side effects and not sure if it's the cause of insomnia but feels like it. Hard to know since I had insomnia before starting cit.  I started cit in the morning, then gp said take it afternoon to avoiid nausea. Took in afternoon but still had trouble sleeping. Last few days changed it back to morning. Sleep is better but I'm really cranky and irritable when I wake up. You should probably try it in the morning if you aren't sleeping at night. I think we have to try and find what works best for us. 
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I've been on 20mg Cit for 7 weeks. I take it in the evening. It helps me sleep. I was going to bed at 3-5AM but now go at a reasonable hour I have NO negative side effects. ALL positive. Cit has saved my life.... for real!! My husband died from cancer 2 years ago & I've been miserable for over 2 years. I'm a believer in Cit!!
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thank u; has been VERY hard. BUT, I've started going to bed at a reasonable hour now instead of 3-5AM.  I did some yardwork today for the first time in 2 1/2 years! I have a gardener but I do the landscaping in the back. The biggy is: I WANT TO LIVE & I can smile again :-) I'm a true believer in Cit, no negatives at all. To tell u the truth it snuck up on me tho....  ha ha  Do u take it?
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

BTW:  it said that it takes 6 weeks for maximum effect; It did take me 6 weeks to reach the max but it was a gradual change. Citlopram saved me!!! I'm here because of Cit!!!
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Did any of you experience tingling/numbless in your hands while taking Citalopram?  My hands have been tingling & going slightly numb since the end of last week?  Note: I started taking Citalopram last Monday.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi I take mine at 12 mid day & I find this okay . sleep well & feel better as the day progresses . I am on 20 mgs & have been on them 16 days & and have gradually improved .
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I take mine first thing or id never sleep! In fact when i started it doc gave me zopiclone to help sleep
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I read all the problems everyone has with Cit & I feel like the only person who can call it a wonder drug! :-) I've never had a single negative but only positives. I no longer think about my death, did yard work for the first time in 2 1/2 years today & I can smile again & also feel happiness & joy about life! I'm sorry you folks have such problems with Cit. It did take the 6 weeks the info mentioned & then it kinda snuck up on me :-) 
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Morning Sadielashea089,

Being a nocturnalist, in this case, I changed taking Cita from daytime to evening by gradually moving it later each day over a week. I found at night (when I could get to sleep) that Cita worked and still works better when my body is resting. Before I was getting vivid multiple dreams which began to dissipate after a short while after moving. I got the advice from here on the forum.

Whether you take half or one whole pill you will still experience some added extras! (the phrase side effects, which they are, unfortunately has negative connotations to it so, I have started saying added extras!). Some people will not experience as many or as diverse added extras as others, nor will they experience the same intensity as others either. So, when asking a question you must not overload on the answers as everyone is SO, different, even though we are sufferiing from the same or a similar illness.

Therefore, you may find that mornings are good for you. The only way to find out after reading these posts (in answer to your question) is to give it a go! Give it time too, see if it works and how long is up to you, but anything less than a week would be pointless as your brain and body have to adjust. Then the next thing to do is report back so either we can offer more help, if you need it, or you can share with others so they learn from your expeience(s). Which is something we all do here.

Just remember that everyones mental and physical reaction to these sticking plaster for the brain will be diffferent. You have to sift through some posts to get the answer(s) that suit you. This journey from the start may feel a scarey one and if yer like me, who never took pills, been seriously ill, roughty tufty etc., etc., it can be even more sacrey and I found, like an outta body experience (hey, but that was me). However, most of us have got to the other side, some are completely clear others, like me (in my case due to external and non related issues) are still nearly, but not quite. We can handle it better though and the journey is worth it, even though it (may) feel like cr*p at the moment.

It cannot, from personal experience, ever be over emphasised the importance of an good emergency duvet downstairs (if you make it outta bed one day, but can't go any further) under which you can crawl and then curl up in and shut the world out, safe and sound!

In the meantime, keep reading (though don't overload), keep posting and ask anything you like, everything is important to those of us that wish to help others. Also keep yer GP up to scratch on how you are doing and feeling, that is important. And if we appear more knowledgeable than yer GP then help educate them.

That is about it, apart from one more final thing (hurray!) and that is - Welcome to the Club! It is all inclusive and like a Family. Always remember you are not alone!

Best Regards,

David

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Im on day 5 of Cit. And I was taking my 20 mg in the morning and I felt like a zombie that could fall asleep standing up. So I took my next dose a little early to switch the before bed last night and I still slept like a baby. It is a little hard to shake the sleepy feeling after getting 7 hrs of sleep. Even so I'm here at work ready to punch in. We will see if taking at night will help me have a more energetic day here at work.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I take mine before bed always have and don't have trouble sleeping. Tried morning and was so tired during day so switched back to night. Only thing is I wake early but think that's just my brain.
    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up