citalopram

Posted , 7 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

hi, ive been described 20mg of citalopram. ive been taking them for 2 weeks now. i just dont seem to be feeling any better, infact i feel worse. i have this awful "fog" in my head where i just feel really blank and very detached from everything. is this normal and is it too early to start feeling any benefits? tia

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

You will feel worse to start with - these are side effects that will ease in time.  You won't feel any relief in 2 weeks - these are a quick fix unfortunately - they take a very long time to work - but they will work for you.

Jusy keep on going and going ... push in through all the symptoms and side effects and you'll find in time it'll be in to ease.  Recovery often comes in waves so you may be up and down for a while.

K x

• Posted

thnx guys. guess ill just give it some more time. as long as the blank feeling in my head is normal. fingers crossed they kick in soon xx
    • Posted

Hi Katie, I would give it a try at night about 30 minutes before bed, with a little food.  I think you will find a big difference!  This is what my doctor told me to do, and I really never felt the fog during the day.  A friend of mine does the same, and her doctor told her the same thing, and she also had no problem with the fog feeling.  She says it helps her sleep.  It does me too...but I am also dealing with the meno on top of everything else...so my sleeping is up and down all the time.  Good luck to you, hang in there, it does get better!!
  • Posted

Completely normal . I remember walking around the house like I wasn't really there and I wasn't really me, most bizarre feeling.

Haven't felt like it since the side effects have worn off

• Posted

thanks for your reply Danielle. it makes me feel slightly better that others have suffered from this as its this that bothers me most. just hope it passes soon xx
    • Posted

It's really scary I know how you feel, I was in the exact same position just over a year ago. It's all down to the medication. I haven't felt like it since the side effects wore off and now I'm so glad I stuck with it as they really helped me . Took a good few months xx
  • Posted

Hi Katie,

Welcome to the Club!

Unfortunately we have to go through, what I like to call the added extras (side effects) to become a new and better person. Cita is a good sticking plaster for the brain and you just have to give it time. Time is an undefinable period in this case as we are all so different. Some may get added extras that you won't and you may possibly get ones that others won't, also the intensity may be higher or lower. Try to understand that Cita usually causes anxiety to be able to treat it (for example, I didn't think I had anxiety!  I was wrong!) mine lasted a month or so, but again it depends on the individual and what repairs Cita has to carry out in the overhaul of your brain.

I always mention the advantages of an emergency duvet downstairs/living room for those days you make it out of bed, but thats about it!

I switched to taking Cita at night as advised here and it worked for me. I just accepted that it would probably work better while I was asleep and rested again, not every night was good, but they did become better over time.

Try not to over worry about what you read here, it may not concern or happen to you, just concentrate on the issues that do and you will get the advice you need. Try and remain positive even when it feels there is little to be positive about here play your favourite uplifting music Have a dance!) or DVD, do not watch the news more than once a day and steer clear of anything called reality TV because it ain't! It is far from it and mainly sad and depressing sh*te full of sad people trapped in a false world.

Do not wish to be yourself again or the old you because, that person is the reason you are here. If possible remove yourself from the situation if that was part of the problem too. Look forward to a new and better you from now on.

Accept you may be a fuzzy headed zombie for a while, but always remember you will get through it, no matter how long it takes and we are here for YOU!

Keep reading (try not to over analyise or worry), keep posting, ask anything without worry or fear of how it may sound, we have all been there.

Regards,

David

• Posted

thankyou so much for your lovely message David. it makes perfect sense to me - at last something does!! xx

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up