citalopram

Posted , 10 users are following.

Been on citalopram 20mg for 8 weeks now after being prescribed this for my low mood swings possibly after a stressfull couple of work years.

After initial very nasty side affects especially the first week where I nearly stopped taking as I couldnt get of the couch had complete loss of appetite & thought I had completly lost my mind. Things calmed down by week three & I felt things were getting better then I had a relapse for for three or four days with morning depression & sweaty nights, This passed & I had a good couple of weeks & thought I'm there at last but on week 8 I've hit another low , Have no motivation to do anything & dont look forward to any of things I enjoyed so much before.Mornings are particularly bad, I'm not sure if its me or the drug anymore, Never had morning depression before, Ive made an appointment with the doctors to see if I might need to reduce or increase. 

0 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Thats how i felt continually or cit i didnt like it at all
  • Posted

Hi

Come off them they are awful. I had the worse 16 days of my life.

Xx

• Posted

Have u tried others? R u going to try something else?
    • Posted

No never tried anything else never felt the need till a few months back when my moods starting yo yoing for no apparent reason. I'll speak to the doc & see what he says but I am worried he might want to increase dose as opposed to decreasing .

• Posted

Mornings were the worst for me, horrendous
    • Posted

Thanks , I feel like binning them but have persevered this far so might just go another couple of weeks if I can just get through these mornings.
  • Posted

I was moved up to 30mg after 8 weeks. I think that us the right dose for me. I had some ups and downs along the way. But now doing well.
  • Posted

I notice that the Citalopram forum is VERY busy.  Just about daily there is a post here about someone struggling with this drug.

I took it for 8 years.  I struggled the first week.

Had I struggled after 1-1.5 weeks, I would have stopped it.

Its admirable that people stay on this drug when it is causing so much trouble.  

I would have determined by now if I were you that this drug is NOT for me.  There are plenty other medications to try.

I stopped Citalopram recently because it just stopped working for me...and it interacted with another medication that I have been taking that HELPS the other condition I have.

I started a new drug...if it made me sick for this long. I would have stopped it.  I am taking the new drug..with no side effects.

It is not an SSRI....

• Posted

Hi. If you dont mind me asking what is the nrw drug you are on. Im off cit few weeks now and withdrawal although going on i was fine. Doc wanted me off to start another ssri but after this experience not a chance.
    • Posted

I used it to stop smoking it very nearly killed me lasted less than a wk i was constantly sick sweating it was like i was on a boat id of rather smoked than handled that! Just goes to show different drugs work or dont for different people
    • Posted

Thanks just wondering as my rheumatologist wanted me change straight from cit to duloxetine another ssri on suggestion from registrar who saw me but they would have chosen amitryptiline which is not ssri. Im def not taking another ssri and when feel better ask about amit. However gp had me withdraw from 40mg cit in 3wks
    • Posted

Thats terrible...yes, that is why different people can take different drugs...I have tried SO many over the years.

So far, I am not having a problem with my current prescription.

• Posted

Oh..did you quit smoking?

I'm not on a very high dose.

I'm asking for it to be raised Monday.

If I get sick...I will have to change drugs..again...lol

• Posted

Lol no i couldnt stand the effects my theory is the drug makes u so ill u cant smoke like they do with people who drink make them sick when they drink. My sister used them an went right up to top dose twice a day to stop smoking an never felt a thing!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.