Citalopram

Posted , 4 users are following.

can any of you kind readers give me some advice I  want to reduce my dose (20mg on doctors suggestion). Last time I tried I had nasty side  effect.   Any help would be very much appreciated

0 likes, 9 replies

Report / Delete

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi

Do you want to reduce to come off completely, or just reduce to a lower dose?

I came off these many years ago and had withdrawal, had to restart a year later (family illness caused me stress) and then came off Citalopram last year after spending a year withdrawing and had no withdrawal effects at all because I did it more gradual.  I went from 20 / 15 / 10 / 5 / 2.5 / 1.25 / 0 spending about 1-2 months on each reduced dose.  I bought a pill cutter and cut the meds up, then the last 2 doses I crushed because they were too small to cut any further.

The smaller the reduction and the longer you take is the best way.

K x

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thank you, I want the reduce gradually.  I was originally on 10 went up to 20 after the loss of my husband now feel ready to reduce down. Should I go to 15 for a while then down back to 10? 
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Yes I'd go to 15 first - reducing by 5mg each time is better, and stay on the reduced at least a month before reducing again.  Doing it gradually is kinder to the body.

I am sorry for your loss xxx

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Yes it really was a good way to reduce when I did it - I had no withdrawal effects at all this time around.  The first time I came off I just halved my meds each time and had side effects.  5mg is better ..... and if that is still a bit tough then crush it and take even less.

wink

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

hi last year i tried to reduce my dose from 20mg to 10mg without sucsess i found it too hard after christmas i had to up my dose again as i found it hard to cope my advice would be if you feel ok on the dose your on stick on it reducing your dose could add to your problems sometimes if you feel ok in yourself it could be that the dose your on is keeping you on an even keel doctors cant get in your head and it could do more harm than good hope you make the dissiscion which you think will help you best regards al
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I have just reposted on Stopping Citalopram feedto someone

I was on Cit 6 months 2013. 20mg dose

Took a year with a pill cutter and 10 mg tablets reducing very very very slowly Much slower than my GP suggested even

E.g.

20/17.5/20/17.5

Usually a month at a time on each change

Stopping and going back to the last ok dose if I felt rough for maybe a week then tried again

I was very boringly medically focussed! And I had a chart with all the doses I crossed off each night

Ending up on1.25mg daily

Had no side effects at all

Bar needing to go back on it again thus January!

I shall stay on it Now!

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I should never have stopped taking it

I think I am seratonin deficient

Knowing what I do and feel now , I shall stick on it

It may not work for you to reduce or stop altogether

The reason I feel good is because I AM on it!

Like thyroxine or insulin it may be just a needed drug...

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up