Citalopram

Posted , 4 users are following.

Just started on Citalopram finding it very very difficult Terrible anxiety hot flashes in legs please help

1 like, 24 replies

24 Replies

• Posted

Hi. What dose are you on?? These are all very common side effects. I f9und my anxiety got worse before it got better. I ended up seeing the Dr and had a low dose of diazepam. Try to stick with it but if it becomes too much speak to your Dr. The side effects will pass though
  • Posted

Hi Linda,

I also experienced a lot of side effects when first starting citalopram, I would get hot flashes especially at night and felt more anxious for the first couple of weeks. I also felt sick constantly and just generally not with it. After a couple of weeks they slowly started to go away and after a few weeks I started feeling the proper impact. It did take about 6-8 weeks for me to feel a full benefit of them because it takes a while for them to get into your system.

Power through with it, it does take some perseverance but I have found it helps me get through the day now ☺️

• Posted

I mean to stick with it Thanks for your reply very encouraging 
    • Posted

I felt OK yesterday and awful so far today panic general anxiety is this normal

• Posted

Hi Linda,

How are you feeling today? It is totally normal to have days where you feel awful whilst the citalopram gets into your system. I had good and bad days when I first started them x

• Posted

I’m having a bad day today lots of panic spasms 

how long before it gets better I’m on day 6 20 mg Yesterday I felt like my old self

• Posted

This is totally normally. It's still early days for the tablets to be getting k to your system. Try not to panic about panicking. Remember you have got through them before. Try writing down all the good things that happen every hour or so and the bad things. It's good to look back at them and remember you had good times but also you got through the bad ones. If there is anything that helps distract or relax you do that. It doesn't matter what it Is just do it. I hope this helps a little. You will get through this

• Posted

Thank you That’s so helpful I’m going to have along hot bath 

is it Ok if I let you know how I get on

• Posted

Absolutely. I know how important it is to have people around you to talk through in the early days. Be selfish right now and do what you need to do to get better. Maybe listen to some meditation or relaxation videos on YouTube while you are in the bath. Good luck
    • Posted

The meditation and relaxation videos are a great idea, I used them a lot when I started taking the tablets x
    • Posted

How was the rest of your day x
    • Posted

Not good went to see doctor and she has put me on a mild sedatives just to tide me over the next few days

feel a lot better

• Posted

Sorry you were feeling so rough. At least you have something to help you. Cross off yesterday. It's been and gone and you got through it . Let's hope today is a better day. Remember it is still very early.days for your meds. Try to relax and rest as much as you can x

• Posted

Day 13 not feeling a lot better yet please tell me again there is hope
    • Posted

You will feel better trust..your not going to stay like that forever..ask your gp.for a benzo.. for those yucky moments..
    • Posted

Well at least you have them... so when your suffering ..you have them...take care
    • Posted

I actually found that around the 2 week mark I was really bad. Go see you dr. I had a hen do for a real short time and it really helped. It Is still early days. You will get better x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.