Citalopram advice needed please

Posted , 5 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

I’ve been taking 20mg of citalopram for two two and a half weeks. The first week was awful and I needed diazepam to help with the anxiety, the second week was normal but today I returned to work for the first time in four weeks and I woke with awful anxiety, it did get easier once I got to work but getting there was hard. Now I feel like I’ve had a setback, are setbacks normal after doing well for a few days. Im terrified of the anxiety and I really need the citalopram to work. I don’t know how to feel about the future, I just long to be anxiety free.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Gemma,

Yes it’s a roller coaster ride the first few weeks. Ask your dr for a Benzo to help you through this. 

Will😎

• Posted

Thanks Will, but what is Benzo and how does it work, I’ve heard others use the same name on other threads but not sure what it does.
    • Posted

Gemma,

I use Xanax  which is in a class of Benzodiazepines. I take a low dose and it helps me sleep. 

Will😎

• Posted

Hey Gemma, from my own experience 'set backs' are normal but don't look at them as set backs - I've had cycles of ups and downs and it's just your mind and body adjusting and getting used to the Citalopram, I know it can be frustrating finding a balance with the diazepam and it can be terrifying but trust in your body that the Citalopram will work when it can, it just takes time to settle in - you went back to work after a month, you overcame the nerves and anxiety, so take heart and positivity from that. We all want to be anxiety free and it can be hard to imagine a future where it isn't a big part of our lives but trust me when I say this can make a positive difference so just keep taking steps and don't be afraid to congratulate your progress - whether it's going into work, going to the shops; whatever. focus on the present and let your future write itself and I don't mean that to sound cliched at all but having taken it myself and felt the terror (I'm 9 odd weeks in on 20mg) I'm hoping that things look a little brighter and I believe you can too

• Posted

Thanks Will, it’s so hard to imagine feeling normal again after the last month and I know it’s a slow process. I’m trying to focus on what I can achieve and not on what I can’t but it does help to hear that others are getting there.
  • Posted

You will be you have already made a big step by going back to work x I was very much like you and struggled going in but perservered it does get better honestly x Its not a set back its one step closer to recovery dont be so hard on yourself
    • Posted

Thanks Michelle, I know if I’d not gone back when it was bad today then it wouldn’t help my recovery in me thinking that I can ever get past this. As I’m sat writing this I’m overcome with dread at the prospect of going to bed because the anxiety is horrendous on a morning.
  • Posted

This happened to me too, I was recovering fine and had even been symptom free for a week then the night before my first day back at work I had awful anxiety and had the worst night sleep ever and had anxiety all day during work. It only lasted about 2 days as I think it was just anxiety about going back to work as I’d had time off. It wore off and then all was fine. I was happier than ever to be back at work. 

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up