Citalopram after bereavement and nervous breakdown

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have been to the doctors today as I lost my dad 7 weeks ago and coped very well for the first 5 weeks then went downhill. 

The doctor said I have had a nervous breakdown from my symptoms which are the following. 

Recurring nightmares

Too scared to sleep then wake up screaming 

Jumping at every noise

Paranoia about people

Feel really unsafe in my house and out places

Shaking hands and knees

Head shakes up and down

Feel people are sick of me

Real fear for no reason

Mumbling when talking

Pulling eyelashes out

Confused a lot

Crying for no reason

I've also started using a comfort blanket again which I haven't done since I was 4. I took a liking to a particular feel of one of our pillowcases and used it very single night till my husband bought me a child's blanket in the same material. It started just using it at night but now if I can't find it when I wake during the night I go crazy and very anxious till I find it. Also it's started coming with me around the house and today I took it to the doctors with me in my handbag so I could put my hand in my bag and feel it when anxious. 

Sorry for the long topic I just wanted to explain what's been happening and see people opinions if I should start taking these tablets. I am not nervous about trying them but I am nervous about the potential of being hooked and having a very hard withdrawal. 

In the next year or so me and my husband would like to try for a baby so would defo like to be off them by then if possible. 

Does anyone have any thoughts? 

Thanks for reading xxx

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hey Mrs se

You sound like you are going through a really really hard time.  My mother in law died last year and my sister in law (her daugther) also started carrying around a comfort blanket with her where ever she went.  I think you do need a bit of help here.  Don't worry about being hooked, these meds really aren't like that and hving come off anti depressants in the past I can tell you that it really isn't that bad at all.  You sound like you are suffering from acute anxiety, I've been there myself and it's a horrible place to be.  My advice is take the meds, and also try and go for a walk each day, just to prove to yourself you can.  It WILL get better I promise.  Also you have been through a big thing losing your dad, don't under estimate it xx

• Posted

Hi mrs se

You poor thing!  Yes, you should start taking the tablets.  It sounds like you've had a rough go of it.  You'll get through it.

Best,

Linda

• Posted

Mrs Se, sorry to hear about your loss and your pain. I think you should take the meds. I too was scared of becoming dependent when I started but I don't feel like that now I'm on them. Sometimes I even nearly forget to take the medication!! 

Do remember that things can only get better. Some counselling may be good to help you with your bereavement too. 

Hope things get better, stay strong

anonymousgirl xxxx

• Posted

I too recommend taking the tablets as well as bereavement counciling. Both should help greatly. As for the comfort blanket, it is ok, I carry a rosary in my pocket and wear a cross at my neck so that I can touch either when I am anxious. For me it reminds me that god is present in my life and I am safe. I also sleep with a stuffed dog that was my mothers before she passed.  You could perhaps cut the corner of the blanket off to take with you when you are out if that will work for you. 
  • Posted

Thank you all so much, was really touched by the lovely and speedy replies I got. 

I've decided to take your advice and start the tablets. They're quite a low dose I think. 20mg a day. 

It's really helpful having support from you all and I have a great and understanding husband and family so I'm sure I'll get through it all.

Lots of love xxx

• Posted

Morning

Glad you have decided to start the tablets. You will have a few days of increased anxiety so bear with it, it does get better. You can always come on here and have a vent. 

Hugs x

• Posted

Yeah the doctor said there was a chance that I would get worse for a little while before I get better. I have a really quiet few days at home planned though so hopefully should be easier to get through it all. How long did it take to feel any sort of benefit from them?

My doctor said 2-3 weeks 

Xxx

• Posted

Im only on day 7 but in the past I have taken other anti depressants and 2-3 weeks and you will start to see the odd improvement. It gradually starts getting better. 
    • Posted

It took me about a couple of weeks I think. I could definitely feel the difference, I felt far better!

Hang on in there! Try to think of enjoyable things to do just for yourself to keep yourself busy on your time off too! 

anonymousgirl xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.