Citalopram and anxiety

Posted , 6 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

Hi. I have been on citalopram for 3 weeks today. Taking 20mg. I feel.worse now than ever. The anxiety is unbearable at times. I'm exhausted and I don't see any way out. Have been prescribed diazepam to help alongside this. Please tell me it will get better. I don't know how much longer I can feel like this!!

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi, i know how you feel i and i know a lot more people have gone though what you are going through. It is awful at first but it will get better i promise. I am on 20mg and ive been on them now for 8 weeks and i am feeling a lot better, i am able to do things i never thought id ever be able to do. My side effects lasted about 2 weeks. It does get worse before it gets better and its awful but it means that they are working. Give it time some people feel better after a few weeks some feel better after months but either way you will get better smile 

Your doing really well sticking with them xx

• Posted

Thank you so much for your kind words. I know in my head things will improve but the anxiety and depression takes over at the start....I'm sure you felt the same. Having a place like this to discuss how you feel and get support is invaluable. It makes it easier to read how people came through it. I keep thinking I'm 3 weeks in so it must improve soon. Thanks again xx

• Posted

Hi Joanne, I’m only on week 2 and really struggling too. The first 2 weeks for me at 10mg was actually fine. I wasn’t feeling any side effects at all. I’m also taking it alongside propranolol for anxiety.... yesterday however, the side effects kicked in and with a vengeance. I had a massive panic attack even though I’m taking propranolol 3 times a day to curb them... it was so scary and I got irregular heartbeats which I’ve never experienced before! Very scary!

I went to my docs who said it’s just the medicine working and it’s bringing out ‘underlying anxiety’. Basically it’s the medicine doing its job and he said it could be weeks before I feel big improvements so I’m just taking his advice and bearing with it.

Today I’m feeling a little better than yesterday... still some anxiety, low mood and all I want to do is sleep. As you say, I don’t know how long I can go on like this.... but as my old granny used to say...

“It gets worse, before it gets better” 

• Posted

Hi Joanne, How are you feeling now? it would of been a couple of months since you started the medication? 
    • Posted

Hi. I'm doing better. Started a stress control class which I think will help. The meds are doing what they should do. Still.have a bit of morning anxiety but it's easier to cope with. How are you??

• Posted

Thank you for replying Joanne... 

I have lots of anxiety.. it tends to level off the evening but its still an issue during the day. 

I was initially on Mitazapine for 4 months with not much results other than sleep so the doc has added Citalopram along side it.. So many people say citalopram ad Sertraline are good meds so I am hoping they serve me well... Just gives us hope that recovery is possible with the correct med and intervention x

Im really pleased when I hear of other people healing after horrible mental health.

• Posted

I take citalopram. It did take a while to work about 6 weeks When I did feel worse for a bit but hang in there it will get better. I'll.keep my fingers crossed for you

• Posted

At the beginning did u not have energy to do anything? I can’t eat and feel so anxious that I can’t do anything I’ve only been back on them 10 days 
    • Posted

It was rough in the beginning. I couldn't sleep or eat and my anxiety got worse Which is why I took a short course of diazepam. It does pass but they do take a while to work. Hang In There If you Can.

• Posted

Did the diazepam help you get on with your day? How long did you start to feel a little better? I’m hanging on to anything at the minute 
    • Posted

The diazepam was a godsend. It helped with the anxiety and helped me sleep. I would say after about 4 weeks i was doing better but it was around 8 weeks that they really wirked. I went on 30mg and now on 40mg. I have also been to a stress control course which has really helped
  • Posted

Once they work, they are more effective than Diazapam for keeping you calm, although it doesn't feel like that at the beginning smile

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up