Citalopram and bradykinesia!

Posted , 4 users are following.

Has anyone come across the info below and what did they make of it, I would assume that you would need to take a high dose of Cit and for a long time for this to apply, any thoughts.

"Since the most obvious symptoms of  bradykinesiacan apply to other diseases, and there are several causes for the condition, it is important that all bases are checked, including a thorough family history, drug use, and any pre-existing conditions must be considered. MRI generally rules out stroke and tumor. Sometimes a lumbar puncture is taken to measure the presence of metabolites and neurotransmitters in order to rule out metabolic disorders such as dopa-responsive dystonia. Drugs such as calcium-channel blockers, neuroleptics, and serotonin-reuptake inhibitors can be causes of bradykinesia.  Other causes include dementia, depression, dementia, drug-induced parkinsonism, and repeated head trauma".

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

hi roy47530, it means u have the same symptoms as Pakinsons diesease, symtoms are stiff muscles, slow reaction , body freeze in legs and joints, do u have it or you ar just asking, how long have u been on Citalprom, just asking, u have come to the right site feel free to ask, cheers ,
  • Posted

Thanks for your reply, and thankfully no I do not have it.

I have been on Cit 10mg for 4 weeks and Gp has risen it to 20mg as from today, will that mean more of the side effects I wonder?

As for Citalopram and bradykinesia, a kind friend!! pointed me to this article which suggests there is a link.

• Posted

I have been on 40mg Citalprom for 5 years, no such side effects, l know of people who have been on it for 20 years still no such side effects, trust your GP they would not give any toxic medication.
  • Posted

I was on it for 5 years on mostly 20mg.  No physical stuff like that at all. Although I don't really know what it is!

You can do without friends like that when you've just started taking them. Let it settle down.  20mg is the usual dose.  If you're having side effects which outweigh the benefits 6 mths down the line, them maybe something else would help? 

• Posted

Yeah, more cheery news. Bin all meds. Go natural and self help. Theses things will cause you more bad than good. Fight the power...
    • Posted

Jog on this site is not for people like, its not a dating site, sorrry.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.