Citalopram and respiratory problems?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello,

I am new to this website, and just joined because I saw the wonderful discussions and feedback on so many of these posts.  I can't seem to find the answer I'm looking for anywhere.

I am 26 and have had asthma since infancy.  I have been on Citalopram for about 3 months, and have been sick nearly the entire time.  I have done many rounds of antibiotics and oral steroids, increased my dose of Advair to max, and frequently taken albuterol and bronkaid.  I have only had a few days here and there of remission of symptoms.

I know that "cough", "respiratory infection" and things of the sort are listed in the Citalopram "infrequent" side effects.  My doctor doesn't seem to think that this could be related.  Has anyone else experienced breathing trouble on Citalopram?  Other than going off of it, is there any way to determine if this is what it is caused from?  Any experiences or knowledge are appreciated.

0 likes, 6 replies

Report / Delete

6 Replies

• Posted

Don't give up. I am aslo an asthmatic since childhood and I understand you. You WILL get better again. I am praying for you.

Blessings

Kirk  :-)

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi John, I have asthma and use Advair too. I did find that my chest felt tighter initially, and I assumed it was the increased anxiety. Things do seem to have settled now at 4 months and using much less albuterol and back on my maintenance of 50/250 Advair after increasing to 50/500 when I first started. I am sure it will settle. Lee.
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

No problems. Taking only 10 mg citalopram, so I don't think it's a problem for me. Several years of allergy shots helped me significantly. Now I take sprays on occasion. Are you able to check with an allergist?
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thank you! I recently went to an asthma/allergy/immunology doctor, and didn't really push or bring up my curiosity about the Citalopram causing problems.  I don't have any known allergies, other than to antibiotics, and am waiting for test results back on an immunology work-up.  If the immunology stuff comes back clean, I will mention it to them and see if they think there could be a connection. 

I just hate to be "that patient", who tries to override the doctors and Dr. Google everything, so I try to let them do their job to some extent.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thank you for the feedback!  Good to know that you did infact experience changes (whether or not they were actually related), and that the breathing difficulties did resolve.

Thanks again... it gives me hope!

Report / Delete Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up