Citalopram and running

Posted , 6 users are following.

Has anyone notice any effects of taking citalopram on running performance/ability?

I've been running for as long as I can remember,anything from 10K to marathon, never very fast but never as slow as since starting citalopram. I'm only on 10mg but had a couple of episodes of \"serotonin syndrome\" in the first 3 weeks and felt so tired when running - I have just no power in my legs whatsoever. And even if I think I'm \"pushing it\" - i.e. out of breath, I'm still running slowly. I did a 10K the other day and had the pick up car revving up behind me - it was so embarrassing!

I understand one of the side effects is muscle weakness, and if the muscle affected is the legs and heart then this could results in my observed effects - but will it be reversible when I come off the tablets?

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

im fitness ins and ive been on my tablests four wks but i too couldnt do anything barley walk down stairs but i do feel more awake now but i do also run and just not at the mo. the doctor did say t me that it can be your bodys way of telling u that u need rest and sleep. if your like me u prob know yourself if u do too much and need rest.....hope this helps.. i too am on 10mg just to get used to them then may up to 20mg. how long u been on them. xx
  • Posted

hi im going to start my tabs 2morr hopefully i wont get to much side affects will keepn you posted
  • Posted

I have been running for ages but since i went on citalopram I didnt have the energy, I dont know if its because at the same time i was also really depressed. Im doing it again now and its hard work but there are days i can now really push it so i dont know if its the meds or not. I am going to come down to 10mg next week and hope to see a reduction in weight and more energy. they made me put on a fair but but that could also be to do with running less?
  • Posted

Hi, 

It is definately the tablets and not the depression making it harder. I used to run alot to help my depression, and when i eventually decided to go on citalopram there was an instant change in the strength of my muscles especially in my legs. I read that taking it can cause sodium deficiency so i've been trying electrolyte drinks when exercising or when i generally feel tired in my body. Definately when I'd just started on them and had the side effects of being exhausted, these seemed to help. Seems to help a little but havent been running so much for a while and am going to start trying to build it up again or do more leg exercises to try and combat it, but it's just so hard! Feels like you're at the end of a run even though you've just started! Would like to hear if anyone has any other tips which can make exercise easier or to get the strength back into the muscles? 

• Posted

Thank you for this I'm a runner and on citalopram and the sodium thing is definitely correct because on my long runs I get to about 1hr in and my body gets goosebumps and I start to have chills and my pace slows right down . I have been reading up about it and these symptoms occur when salt levels are low. Its a pain really, I might try missing a few tablets the week prior to a race
  • Posted

Been on cit for a couple of weeks now. I'm an avid runner. I did 6 marathons in the last 3 years all under 3 hours. Then, after the last, my world came crashing down. I knew I was depressed during the training, but the marathon gave me focus. When the marathon training finished, I crumbled, effectively having a nervous breakdown due to work related stress.

Over a roller coaster number of weeks, I had completely stopped running, had a breakdown, and then began Citalopram 10mg.

The reason I'm writing this is because I'm yet to re-find my mojo. I'm really hoping it comes back soon. I want to get back out there running, but cannot find the motivation to do so. I have my fingers crossed that the Citalopram will push me in the right direction. My biggest concern is that the WRS won't go away, and this will continue to cause me problems.

• Posted

Been on cit for a couple of weeks now. I'm an avid runner. I did 6 marathons in the last 3 years all under 3 hours. Then, after the last, my world came crashing down. I knew I was depressed during the training, but the marathon gave me focus. When the marathon training finished, I crumbled, effectively having a nervous breakdown due to work related stress.

Over a roller coaster number of weeks, I had completely stopped running, had a breakdown, and then began Citalopram 10mg.

The reason I'm writing this is because I'm yet to re-find my mojo. I'm really hoping it comes back soon. I want to get back out there running, but cannot find the motivation to do so. I have my fingers crossed that the Citalopram will push me in the right direction. My biggest concern is that the WRS won't go away, and this will continue to cause me problems.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.