citalopram and sleeping problems

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi has anyone got any tips for insomnia in the early stages of citalopram, feeling really tired but unable to sleep

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Sorry.... Misread the question. Thought you asked if anyone else had insomniasmile

My doc gave me a few non- addictive sleeping pills for the first week

• Posted

Hi jen31560 might have to try that route are you sleeping ok without them now?
    • Posted

Hi

I couldn't sleep either and felt it was the one thing that wasn't improving on the medication. I've started going for acupuncture and have started to

Sleep properly again, either that or I'm on week 8 of the tablets and they've started to work 😄

• Posted

Hi,

not sleeping was was one of my biggest issues before and after starting Citralopram. All I can say is it does get a lot better. I've now been on the tablets for about 10 weeks and most nights I am sleeping well. I did however use other techniques to help including the followings- never go to bed unless really sleepy , used an extra duvet underneath me for added comfort ( really helped!) and listening regularly to mindful meditation tapes and Paul McKenna hypnotic trance every night in bed to help aid sleep. These have helped me, main thing early days is not to stress about how little sleep you are getting and not to continually tell everyone that you're not getting any sleep, so take your focus off not sleeping and get on with other things to keep your mind busy. Someone on here recommended a book to me which I can't remember the name of but will look it up and post it later and the simplicity of it really struck home too and was also a factor in my recovery. Anyway, good luck, know that this time will pass and things will get better.

Val

• Posted

Hi again

the name of that book is The Effortless Sleep Method by Sasha Stephens , quick and easy read 

Val

• Posted

Hi Damo47,

I have been taking the tablets for 6 weeks now and only just started to sleep through the night , tough but you do get there.

Take care. x

• Posted

Hi 2bernieh thanks for the hope that sleep will return It makes it a long day with little sleep
  • Posted

You could try 3-5mg of Melatonin.  You can get it at any store that sells vitamins.  
  • Posted

The Doctor gave me diazepam to take for a couple of weeks.......it should settle after that 😃
  • Posted

The Doctor gave me diazepam to take for a couple of weeks.......it should settle after that 😃
    • Posted

Thanks Kay77558 went to drs today and he gave me the same so fingers crossed

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.