Citalopram anxiety

Posted , 3 users are following.

All

I was in 20mg for 2 years then it was upped to 40mg this year. It was it that stage I decided after a month to come off it because I felt great. BIG mistake. 2 months later I myself decided to go back onto 40mg. OMG it was like my body was hit with every emotion going and my bladder was out of control which I was told it was a side effect etc. Anyway it’s was decided by my GP to reduce to 20mg. Before I knew it, I’d taken an overdose and was taken to hospital. This was down to going on the 40mg straight away whiched caused intense intrusive thoughts. I was check out by the hospital mental health counsellors. 

I’m now back home and it’s 3 weeks since going back on Cit and just taken each day as it comes. although I still have the side effects i.e Lump in the throat (anxiety) feeling crap and still crying in the morning which ive been told is a symptom of depression. I do feel calmer in the evening. 

Hopefully I  get back to being myself

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Am glad you recovered from overdose very scary I have accidently overdosed too on citalorapram, that was a few months back and had to delay my other meds so went into withdrawal mode with them as soon as the cita started leaving my system, as they were concerned with serotonin syndrome. I felt and acted so drugged, felt embarrassed. no anxiety was already tearful at the time and very frustrated with all this. Its a rollercoaster!

Three times I have accidently overdosed, another time I was put on a drip as became dehydrated. My doc says this does happen

Be careful, I now have my phone set up with med alarms and my meds separated.

• Posted

Oh well is not considered and over dose ..it was just stong side effects of the higher million .it was awesome over two hundred milligrams to od.on celexa according to my phychiatrist...glad you pull thru..and another side effects that occurred when taking multiple different Medications of antidepressants is serotonin syndrome which people confused with overdose ..

• Posted

Strong side effects of the higher dose.. overdose happen in doses over 200 milligrams.. according to my phychiatrist..
    • Posted

Thats good to know Lois, thank you. I like your psychiatrist, could do with her over here.
    • Posted

Yes Paula I have gotten my money's worth from phychiatrist ..I have ask every question imagineable for this illness..plus I have interagated every patient she has in the waiting room..oh yes ma'am..is funny because I ask all the questions she just listens and answers..

• Posted

Unfortunately my experience was the result of going back on 40mg Cit which caused me overwhelming intrusive thoughts, then before I knew it, I’d taken an overdose of around 480mg Cit plus my BP meds.....Very Foolish!  I would recommend to anyone to stick with 20mg as a therapeutic dose for an adult. 

• Posted

480milligrams is alot of pills..who told you to take 12pills ???mmm
    • Posted

No one,  it’s what I had remaining at the time along with my other meds. 
    • Posted

Yes you probably had a bad reaction to the 40milligrams which is absurd for a doctor to prescribe that high of a dosage when starting or restarting...good old doctor quack does it again...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.