Citalopram bad second time

Posted , 3 users are following.

After experiencing extreme anxiety OCD depression from a miscarriage and a bad reaction to antibiotic weeks later in 2007 I was put on clomeprimine and stayed on that till 2009 when I had my daughter and it stopped working!Doc moved me from 25 mg of clomeprimine up to 40 mg of celexa wishing 4 weeks and I was great!My psychiatrist had been in the business 60 years and was brilliant!The clomeprimine totally recovered me and I stayed on it till 2013 when I got pregnant !I was on 10 mg of celexa and my regular doctor told me to stop taking it since he said 10 mg wasn't a therapeutic dose!I weaned off no problem!My psychiatrist had passed a few years before so I only had my regular doc to listen too!Bad mistake!I got off the pills no problem but two years later it all came back and when I tried to re start the celexa at 10 mg it was horrid!I lasted two days!I had inner restlessness and flashes of hot burning under my arms and face that came and went throughout day!Woke up in middle of naught panicked and got up and paced around!Felt crazy so I stopped and the increased anxiety with insomnia stayed like that for six weeks at least after stopping!I now went to see an actual psychiatrist and she wants me to try the celexa or citalopram again at 2.5 mg and see how I do on lowest dose!Has anyone had a similar reaction and went down and done better!I am afraid to restart!I hope someone experienced with these can help!Thanks so much

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I meant to say the celexa totally recovered me and I stayed on celexa till 2013
  • Posted

Hi Monica, I had dreadful side effects from the citalopram and this has happened to some degree every time my dose has increased. The problem is that when you first take most types of antidepressant they can heighten your anxiety, I lost my appetite and struggled very bad with insomnia and nausea. However when I read about all my symptoms online I could see that although some people got hardly any side effects (lucky them) lots of people were going through the same as me. My doc offered to change my tablet but I decided not to mess with my system and give it more time. I'm in week 10 now, things are improving but it takes time. I've had a full week now and again when I feel back to my old self but recovery is very up and down and I still have bad days too. I've been through this before in 2013 but was on mirtazapine so know that eventually life will get back to normal it just takes patience and a lot of strength. We all think we're weak for feeling like this but I think we are so strong for getting through it. There's always lots of people to speak to on here so know you're not alone.

• Posted

Hi..i had the same thing when i started on 10mg of citalapram..hot sweats...insomnia..4/5 weeks i started to feel better..then 5 months on i felt i needed more so i upt them to 20mg...it takes time to settle into your body..but worth it? Good luck to you...
  • Posted

Thank you both for your reply!!Did you have the restless panic?Also the heat wasn't like sweating it was like a burning sensation under my skin,it would come and go throughout day but it burned like someone had said before kind of like acid under you skin burning sensation!Did you guys experience that?

• Posted

I didn't get a burning sensation but I have seen posts where other people have described exactly the same thing. I had the restless panic though and still do sometimes it's horrendous I used to pace around the house and felt like I was going mad! Everything you describe is normal and will settle its just hard to cope with but we'lol all get there. Big hugs.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.